GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is my ECU fried?

echo5group

Car(s)
mk7 Golf
So I was flashing my ECU yesterday with a Cobb AP and I followed directions and it failed at 64 percent. Now my ecu is in recovery mode and nothing cobb phone support has told me to do works. Took it to the dealer today and they said its fried and i need a new $1200 one, but Cobb said its not fried because the ECU is still being recognized by the AP and shows my ECU id number and all that, so maybe the dealership is lying?. Is it possible to buy one on ebay and have a euro shop re-program the ebay bought one and put it in my car so it finally works? Or can Cobb fix it for me if I send it to them?

echo5group

Car(s)
mk7 Golf
Im curious now because im looking on ebay for an ECM and they all seem to have part number 8V0906264D but mine is listed as 8v0906264k from the info my AP was showing me.

20240229_112053.jpg

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I'm sure Cobb could fix it if you sent it to them. Agree it's not actually fried... probably just standard dealership procedure, versus dealing with random aftermarket tune issues. The fact that it accepts and attempts to reflash the ECU means its just stuck in bootloader (not fried) but fails mid flash for whatever reason.

If you have a known local euro shop, they probably have another tool that can flash it back to stock at least.
264D and 264K.... K is just a newer version, but both are for 1.8T cars. Either can be flashed to the ECU just fine in this case. All that really matters is the ECU pn, since either way it's going to need immo off/adapted to your car (you can't just plug in random junkyard ecu into your car--it wont work). PN is 06K907425B

echo5group

Car(s)
mk7 Golf
I'm sure Cobb could fix it if you sent it to them. Agree it's not actually fried... probably just standard dealership procedure, versus dealing with random aftermarket tune issues. The fact that it accepts and attempts to reflash the ECU means its just stuck in bootloader (not fried) but fails mid flash for whatever reason.

If you have a known local euro shop, they probably have another tool that can flash it back to stock at least.
264D and 264K.... K is just a newer version, but both are for 1.8T cars. Either can be flashed to the ECU just fine in this case. All that really matters is the ECU pn, since either way it's going to need immo off/adapted to your car (you can't just plug in random junkyard ecu into your car--it wont work). PN is 06K907425B
Thank you so much for the helpful info. I figured it was dealership BS, especially since they are a certified APR tuner location. I did call a local euro shop and they said they could re-program one for about $175. They also had me send my vin so the guy could look to see if they happen to already have one in their shop they could sell me. So hopefully I will hear some good news from him tomorrow because I need my car back asap lol.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

can you flash an immo'd ECU with cobb?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
can you flash an immo'd ECU with cobb?
I think it would depend on the method that immo is disabled. If it's an ASW patch that would get overwritten when unlocked etc., and it would be in immo brick state during or after the first unlock flash. Kind of a tricky scenario.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I think it would depend on the method that immo is disabled. If it's an ASW patch that would get overwritten when unlocked etc., and it would be in immo brick state during or after the first unlock flash. Kind of a tricky scenario.
yeah.. this is why i wouldn't bet on a junkyard ecu if you're planning on using cobb