GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

just wanted to know..

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
my mate wants to join the army to get away from everything.. anyone had this sort of experience and do you got some advice for him?

MachSchnell

Rally Car Champion
Yeah, don't do it!! :eek:

If he is looking for an escape why doesn't he simply take a vacation! Go on an extended road trip, or hiking trip.

Getting shot at isn't the best way to "get away from everything". It won't take away stress, only add a new level to his existing problems.

I'm not against patriotism (for whatever country you hail from), I just hate to see someone make this big of a committment for the wrong reasons.

alf

Modwhoreator
eh go for it if you got nothing to lose.

my friend did, he's psyched about it.

alf

davesee

FIA GT Champion
Every friend of mine that chose to join has no regrets, I guess you're either made for it or not, I wouldnt want to join...

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, the only reason I put that response is because I don't see the big deal here. If he wants to go then he'll go. Many have done it before him and many will continue to do so. :iono:

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
ic.. well he did some stupid things recently and said he wants to go.. its a bit complicated but he said that he always wanted to go.

bilbos

On the Kop
He can always go through the basic training to see if it is right for him.

Do you have to sign up for a specific time frame?

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
bilbos said:
He can always go through the basic training to see if it is right for him.

Do you have to sign up for a specific time frame?
In the US you do. You need to "enlist" before you can just go and try it out. Why would they pay for you to do that? Not to mention, certain fields require you to enlist for more years than others. In example, I passed the test to get accepted into the nuclear program throught the Navy but backed out of it due to the fact that you need to sign on for 6 years. There not going to educate you in such a field and let you just leave on them. Therefore I opted to be a DC men (damage control) because during the first gulf war you could enlist for a 2 year contract and get out if you didn't like it. I'm glad I did that. Because after 2 months I was ready to get out.:laugh:

Not sure how it works in the UK though.