GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Medium Wave on infotainment system in 2023 mk8

nigelroberts

I collected my wife's new 73 plate R this morning. It's pretty awesome, But there'es no medium wave option on the radio, at least in the out of the factory condition.
No matter, that's a simple change with ODBeleven, or so I thought. Post- enabling it, there's a fully functional AM radio there. But no radio stations!!!!

It SOUNDS as if it needs an antenna connection. Any one have any ideas?

She loves listening to Caroline on 648 kHz in the car so I'm motivated to get this fixed. (And please don't tell me she should stream it over the internet .....)

Attachments

• mk8.jpg
    mk8.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 74

CH47AV8R

I collected my wife's new 73 plate R this morning. It's pretty awesome, But there'es no medium wave option on the radio, at least in the out of the factory condition.
No matter, that's a simple change with ODBeleven, or so I thought. Post- enabling it, there's a fully functional AM radio there. But no radio stations!!!!

It SOUNDS as if it needs an antenna connection. Any one have any ideas?

She loves listening to Caroline on 648 kHz in the car so I'm motivated to get this fixed. (And please don't tell me she should stream it over the internet .....)
I figured a 73 plate would look WAY different. 🤷‍♂️

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
"

73 -> 2073?
No; in the UK, a car on a 73 plate car is one that’s first registered between 1st September 2023 and 29th February 2024. The registration period identifier on vehicle registration plates in the UK changes every 6 months, so the next 4 changes will be as follows;

24 plate; vehicle first registered between 1st March 2024 - 31st August 2024
74 plate; vehicle first registered between 1st September 2024 - 28 February 2025
25 plate; vehicle first registered between 1st March 2025 - 31st August 2025
75 plate; vehicle first registered between 1st September 2025 - 28th February 2026

and so on………….

My car is on a ‘70’ plate which means it was registered between 1st September 2020 and 28th February 2021 (it was actually registered on 9th September 2020).

CH47AV8R

No; in the UK, a car on a 73 plate car is one that’s first registered between 1st September 2023 and 29th February 2024. The registration period identifier on vehicle registration plates in the UK changes every 6 months, so the next 4 changes will be as follows;

24 plate; vehicle first registered between 1st March 2024 - 31st August 2024
74 plate; vehicle first registered between 1st September 2024 - 28 February 2025
25 plate; vehicle first registered between 1st March 2025 - 31st August 2025
75 plate; vehicle first registered between 1st September 2025 - 28th February 2026

and so on………….

My car is on a ‘70’ plate which means it was registered between 1st September 2020 and 28th February 2021 (it was actually registered on 9th September 2020).
How intuitive.
Much like the US model years which have nothing to do with the calendar year.

tos

Go Kart Champion
I think that you can find reception/antenna levels with obd11 and live data?

nigelroberts

I think that you can find reception/antenna levels with obd11 and live data?
I have ODB 11 but unable to find anything relevant in it. Does the antenna unit perhaps need to be coded in in order to provide the AM radio component with a signal? This is an awfully LO-O-O-N-G way from the days of my Life on Mars Mk 3 Cortina with a Wayne and Tracy whip antenna on the eight-track ;-)

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I believe that UK models have only a DAB & FM aerial, as VW no longer seem to put an option code sticker in the owners manual or on the boot floor, I had the parts guy at the dealership print me the option code document for my GTI, on the last page it shows the info circled in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_3091.jpeg
    IMG_3091.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
Hello Folks:

A forum member from Europe who is posting on VWVortex.com wants to know if it is possible to either enable or retrofit AM radio reception (what I think is being called "medium wave" in this discussion) to his European spec car.

I've referred him to this discussion here on GolfMk8.com, but perhaps some kind European owners could have a look at his questions in the VWVortex forum and then share their opinion & knowledge with him, either here (probably best) or in the original thread on VWVortex.

Here's the link: Are Wiring diagrams universal between regions? (he is referring to radio antenna wiring diagrams).