GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 GTI SE 1st and 2nd gear

tac0joe

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Hey ya'll, question for those of you with mqb mk7 transmission experience.

I have a 2015 GTI SE 6spd w/ ~100,000 miles on the clock. I got an ecu tune (EQ stage 1, on cobb v3) about 15000 miles ago, and it's definitely time to upgrade the clutch.
I have a second issue, possibly related, possibly not, where during a hard run through the gearbox merge in Morrison, CO I was unable to shift into second gear, it felt fine in the gearbox but when i let the clutch out the transmission never engaged second gear.
Fast forward ~2000 miles and i have lost first gear as well. I upgraded to billet shiftlink arms, and new transmission mount bushings in an attempt to recover 1 and 2, and now when i let the clutch out in either first or second gear i hear a clicking but no torque gets transferred to the wheels. So I'm looking at an overdue stage 2/3 clutch, but my concern is that i damaged a fork or first/second gear synchro.

Is there anyway my overdue clutch job is the culprit for a lack of 1/2 engagement, or do i likely have 2 separate issues?

One Love,
tac0

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I was unable to shift into second gear, it felt fine in the gearbox but when i let the clutch out the transmission never engaged second gear.
Weird, could be you just miss-shifted
Fast forward ~2000 miles and i have lost first gear as well. I upgraded to billet shiftlink arms, and new transmission mount bushings in an attempt to recover 1 and 2, and now when i let the clutch out in either first or second gear i hear a clicking but no torque gets transferred to the wheels. So I'm looking at an overdue stage 2/3 clutch, but my concern is that i damaged a fork or first/second gear synchro.
Well first of all, stop throwing parts at the problem. Your clutch is toast, 100k miles on the stock clutch with a tune = a bad time. If you think there is another problem internal to the transmission your best bet is to get it diagnosed at a shop.

tac0joe

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Weird, could be you just miss-shifted

Well first of all, stop throwing parts at the problem. Your clutch is toast, 100k miles on the stock clutch with a tune = a bad time. If you think there is another problem internal to the transmission your best bet is to get it diagnosed at a shop.
Thanks. I’m throwing parts at the problem because the cost of diagnostic transmission work is almost unbearable. I can afford to replace the weak points of the shift linkage cheaply, (plus won’t hurt to beef up a bit before the new clutch) and want to rule out as much as I can before succumbing to bell housing stuffs.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Thanks. I’m throwing parts at the problem because the cost of diagnostic transmission work is almost unbearable. I can afford to replace the weak points of the shift linkage cheaply, (plus won’t hurt to beef up a bit before the new clutch) and want to rule out as much as I can before succumbing to bell housing stuffs.
The trans is more than likely fine. As wascally pointed out above it could be your shifter alignment is out of whack as well.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
you might have broken little parts of your clutch disk, and they are affecting shifts. THough usually if would affect every gear (speaking from experience with an old car I had).

but when you change the clutch, check for any debris or small pieces of clutch disk, broken springs, etc.