GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattle from glovebox area (fixed)

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Feeling pleased with myself.....

For the past few months there's been an annoying rattle which seemed to come from the glovebox. No amount of opening the glovebox, rearranging its contents or emptying it cured the rattle.

Today, I discovered the (flimsy) plastic finishing piece at the end of the dashboard (the part containing the airbag safety switch) was rattling at the leading edge.
20221227_155312.jpg

(Don't worry, the electrical tape is just a temporary fix to prove the source of the problem. Further work required for a permanent solution. Perhaps there's a loose clip or something.)

bentin

Autocross Champion
TESA tape does wonders for this sort of rattle and if you can apply it out of sight, or at least with a uniform edge, no one will ever notice it.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks!

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Talking of rattles 🤔. I had one from the rear. Turned out it was coming from the metal ‘hook’ where the folding seat latch clips into when the seat is in the upright position. I cured it by wrapping (many times) insulation tape around metal ‘hook’.

I had the same issue with my previous Mk7 but since I cured it in that car so long ago I had to rediscover this remedy 🙄.

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Talking of rattles 🤔. I had one from the rear. Turned out it was coming from the metal ‘hook’ where the folding seat latch clips into when the seat is in the upright position. I cured it by wrapping (many times) insulation tape around metal ‘hook’.

I had the same issue with my previous Mk7 but since I cured it in that car so long ago I had to rediscover this remedy 🙄.
Funny, our 2019 Ateca did the exact same thing, fixed it the exact same way.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I had the same issue when I got the car, fixed it in virtually the same way as you did.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
J
How does one remove the panel?
Just use a trim tool around the edge nearest the passenger compartment, there are three or four clips, they will be tight though if they’ve never been removed before, the panel then pulls away from the A pillar once the clips are released, DO NOT unplug the airbag switch unless you have a scan tool that is capable of resetting the airbag light.