GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock mk8 GTI oil temps.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Observation:

Mk8 oil temps in normal driving are 15 to 20 degrees F higher than either of my old mk7.5's.

Anyone else notice this?

I'm guessing they increased the oil temp for emissions/efficiency and/or it's due to the 0w20 oil. I'm seeing 219 - 222 F in normal driving and that was with 70 deg ambient temps and cruising to work.

Mk7 I'd see 190's in normal driving. 220's autocrossing and 280 on track.

Anyone tracking yet?

What is everyone else seeing?

Bibi_Travels

Springtime ambient temps are running in the 60ºs and my engine temps are consistent at 194ºF driving normally. Not sure it means anything definitive.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Springtime ambient temps are running in the 60ºs and my engine temps are consistent at 194ºF driving normally. Not sure it means anything definitive.
What's an engine temp?

Are you talking about coolant? Same here them.

I'm talking about oil temp.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Observation:

Mk8 oil temps in normal driving are 15 to 20 degrees F higher than either of my old mk7.5's.

Anyone else notice this?

I'm guessing they increased the oil temp for emissions/efficiency and/or it's due to the 0w20 oil. I'm seeing 219 - 222 F in normal driving and that was with 70 deg ambient temps and cruising to work.

Mk7 I'd see 190's in normal driving. 220's autocrossing and 280 on track.

Anyone tracking yet?

What is everyone else seeing?
Are you comparing to stock or tuned? My Mk7 was ~220-225 stock and so is my Mk8. Tune dropped temps due to lower cylinder head temp targets, and AFAIK this is done on the mk8 tunes too.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Are you comparing to stock or tuned? My Mk7 was ~220-225 stock and so is my Mk8.
Stock and tuned to stock. My oil temps ran 190's in normal driving.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
194F sounds like the coolant gauge, which is completely made up. It basically doesn't read anything else unless it's way overheated, if you log the actual coolant temp gauge at the radiator outlet it's way different.