GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tailgate rubbing against bumper

Dougy

I've searched the forum, but can't find any reference to this.

Does anyone suffer from their tailgate rubbing against the bumper? Mine has rubbed down to bare metal. I initially mentioned it at the first service at 6 months and the dealer said it was small stones getting trapped. Now nearly 3 years on and 54,000 miles the entire tailgate has worn down to bare metal. I am waiting for an answer form the body shop.

tim89

Same but I have a metal strip on the bumper. It’s scraping pieces of paint off. I guess the tolerances are not quite right on the bumper and tailgate.

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
Does anyone suffer from their tailgate rubbing against the bumper?
I had that problem on my 2015 Golf after the rear bumper was removed and repainted following a very low-speed rear end collision (5 km/h). I think what happened was when the body shop put the rear bumper back together they did not align it properly. Over the next 5 years the bottom center of the tailgate corroded because it was always sitting in a tiny puddle of water that accumulated on the top middle of the bumper cover.

If you have a written history of this problem at your VW dealership (meaning, if you first mentioned the problem back when the car was in warranty and the dealership documented the problem on a service record) I suggest you press your dealer to have VW resolve the problem - either at the dealer's body shop (if they operate one) or at a body shop that the dealer uses. Otherwise, the corrosion problem at the bottom of the hatch door will just get worse and worse as time goes by.

Michael