GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Texas - no more safety inspections in 2025

golfdave

Autocross Champion

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
MOT is checking things like condition of tires, brakes, headlights, steering, suspension, etc. It's perfectly possible to have a car on the squealer pad with bald tires in 3 years and that has nothing to do with the manufacturer.
i know what the mot is ya nerd!!!!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Here's the MOT section on the drivers seat....got to make certain those nice electric seats all work!!..

1686240347934.png

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
This is just the condensed version of the UK MOT checklist.....there is a full details list which is bigger...
View attachment 283291
Uk MOT are legit. Not like US inspections.
Last inspection consisted of obd scan, brake test. Checking wipers, lights and blinkers. That's it.

No tires, suspension etc

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
I've seen inspection stations in Texas run the gamut, from checking every single bulb (to include the high stop), tread depth, and gas cap pressure, to just checking wipers, headlights, and horn. That's it.

I was told our SUV almost failed inspection because almost all the bulbs in the high stop were out. One lonely little bulb saved it from failing. Mind you, everything else was up to snuff. Just weird is all.

Some of the cars I drove over 20yrs ago would definitely NOT pass inspection anywhere nowadays. 🤣

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
I remember going to these annual inspections when I moved to NJ in the early 90's. I had to wait in an hour long line for someone to walk around my car, check my headlights, and for someone to accelerate real hard and brake really hard. Despite this...I still saw some of the most trashed cars I've ever seen on the road. I could not believe the condition of some of the cars that were driving around. It was the first time I saw someone driving a car with no windshield.

In NJ at the time...the registration sticker went on the inside of the windshield. When you come out of the inspection tunnel...someone would come up and use a metal scraper to remove the sticker...they'd slap on the new one with all the gunk and residue from the old sticker still there.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
In NJ at the time...the registration sticker went on the inside of the windshield. When you come out of the inspection tunnel...someone would come up and use a metal scraper to remove the sticker...they'd slap on the new one with all the gunk and residue from the old sticker still there.
Hell nah... you gotta clean all that off and make sure it's put on straight