GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... California Nears $8 Gallon Gas - Biden Sends Zelenskyyy $61 Billion

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I’ve picked up a few jumpers off the sidewalk/parking lot, but I have not fallen off a 4, 7, or ANY story building to date.

I must be immune.

Back in the 90's, in Camp Lejeune/Cherry Point, we'd have a Harrier crash every year. One year, pilot made it all the way to the OR before dying. Ejected on take off, just a little too late, launching him horizontally. Skipped down the tarmac came to rest in the trees far of the runway. Harriers were terrible. Every year, the annual purple star exercise had something crazy happen. Harriers crashing, CH-47's colliding, LVA's sinking or driving over someone in the middle of the night.

No fun scrapping people off the pavement.

Funny-ish story about jumper though. Dude jumps off 3 story barracks, lands on grass, completely fine. Climbs back up the stairs, jumps off the parking lot side, breaks leg, they find him crawling up the stares to jump again. Poor dude, if only he'd known he needed at least 4 stories.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Back in the 90's, in Camp Lejeune/Cherry Point, we'd have a Harrier crash every year. One year, pilot made it all the way to the OR before dying. Ejected on take off, just a little too late, launching him horizontally. Skipped down the tarmac came to rest in the trees far of the runway. Harriers were terrible. Every year, the annual purple star exercise had something crazy happen. Harriers crashing, CH-47's colliding, LVA's sinking or driving over someone in the middle of the night.

No fun scrapping people off the pavement.

Funny-ish story about jumper though. Dude jumps off 3 story barracks, lands on grass, completely fine. Climbs back up the stairs, jumps off the parking lot side, breaks leg, they find him crawling up the stares to jump again. Poor dude, if only he'd known he needed at least 4 stories.
Holy shit. That’s commitment

I heard how unreliable harriers were. I still liked the idea of vertical take off.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
When I was younger I watched a single engine Beechcraft crash into a CH47, and burn in. When we arrived at the Beech’s impact area it was a ball of metal about 5’ diameter and a moderate debris field.

The chinook landed, they flew in a front rotor head and flew home.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
When I was younger I watched a single engine Beechcraft crash into a CH47, and burn in. When we arrived at the Beech’s impact area it was a ball of metal about 5’ diameter and a moderate debris field.

The chinook landed, they flew in a front rotor head and flew home.
When I was a kid. I got to see an sr71! Homestead afb. That plane gets laid bro, no plane fucks like the sr71!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
In my early career, I spent a lot of time with the Marines and even my later career, deployed with a trauma unit twice. There's an old joke about CH47's. Never hitch a ride in a 47 that isn't leaking hydraulic fluid, it means there is none.

In 2007, we were the first unit to use an osprey to medevac a patient.

Anyone else do combat landings and takeoffs in Iraq or Afghanistan? I'm sure the pilots were having fun, landing and taking off at such steep angles is terrifying for passengers. A C130 shouldn't be able to do that.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
In my early career, I spent a lot of time with the Marines and even my later career, deployed with a trauma unit twice. There's an old joke about CH47's. Never hitch a ride in a 47 that isn't leaking hydraulic fluid, it means there is none.

Anyone else do combat landings and takeoffs in Iraq or Afghanistan? I'm sure the pilots were having fun, landing and taking off at such steep angles is terrifying for passengers. A C130 shouldn't be able to do that.
Combat landings in a UH in Afghanistan? Yup

Corprin

Autocross Champion

Can confirm. First time in a CH47 was told, “watch that drip, if it stops let us know immediately”. Was hydraulic fluid.

I did two ins, three outs on C130s from BIAP. Last run out, on the way home, some asshole with a manpad took a shot at us. Spooked the crew enough to go map of the earth for an hour on the way back to Kuwait. I’ve never thrown up that much in my life.

Took a C23 into a farm field for a visit to Bondsteel, that was a ride. Skopje was rioting.

Did my reenlistment flight in a UH60 over Sadr City Feb ‘04. Had medevacs land on my head, it seemed, a couple times.

We were supposed to fly CH47s to BIAP for our rotation home. Two birds, three sticks each. I was in the third stick, birds didn’t come back. Turns out they took fire on their way to BIAP with the second stick and had to deadline one bird for ruptured fuel tank. Ended up in the second most frightening convoy of my tour, first being my drive up from NAVSTAR in a M998. Then I fly out of BIAP and get fired on. Fucking place tried to get me till the bitter end.

Rode shotgun in a OH58 on a vomit inducing check flight.

By far the scariest military flight was the Patriot Express from Seattle to Yokota.... on an L1011 :oops:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Can confirm. First time in a CH47 was told, “watch that drip, if it stops let us know immediately”. Was hydraulic fluid.

I did two ins, three outs on C130s from BIAP. Last run out, on the way home, some asshole with a manpad took a shot at us. Spooked the crew enough to go map of the earth for an hour on the way back to Kuwait. I’ve never thrown up that much in my life.

Took a C23 into a farm field for a visit to Bondsteel, that was a ride. Skopje was rioting.

Did my reenlistment flight in a UH60 over Sadr City Feb ‘04. Had medevacs land on my head, it seemed, a couple times.

We were supposed to fly CH47s to BIAP for our rotation home. Two birds, three sticks each. I was in the third stick, birds didn’t come back. Turns out they took fire on their way to BIAP with the second stick and had to deadline one bird for ruptured fuel tank. Ended up in the second most frightening convoy of my tour, first being my drive up from NAVSTAR in a M998. Then I fly out of BIAP and get fired on. Fucking place tried to get me till the bitter end.

Rode shotgun in a OH58 on a vomit inducing check flight.

I was lucky and flew everywhere, in both my Iraq tours, except one mission. It was right after IED attacks fell off in 07, but still nerve racking.

I'll tell some crazy convoy stories from the first Gulf War though. What a cluster F%$# that was.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
I was lucky and flew everywhere, in both my Iraq tours, except one mission. It was right after IED attacks fell off in 07, but still nerve racking.

I'll tell some crazy convoy stories from the first Gulf War though. What a cluster F%$# that was.

There were a ton of lessons learned from the first gulf war. I know the shit shows I saw, I can only imagine back then.

I drove about 25k miles in my year in the command squad.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There were a ton of lessons learned from the first gulf war. I know the shit shows I saw, I can only imagine back then.

You're a lucky sob to be here with that many miles. My nephew was hit by IED's twice in 3 months in his only tour in Iraq. He was put out medically due to non-union of a radial fracture, PTSD, hearing loss, and vision issues after multiple TBI's.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion

My driving was way less. If I’d have to guess. Maybe 8-10k. Mostly to and from the airport via convoy. 25k in the desert. That’s a lot of freaking miles.