GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thudding noise from centre console when turning off engine

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Christ, these cars really are the gift that keeps on giving.
My 2020 M135iX used to make a god awful howl from the rear brakes if you reversed it after being parked a while, BMW’s solution was to repeatedly replace the rear discs and pads, which didn’t stop it! Weird noises are not exclusively VW, in this case I believe it’s the transmission selector (the mechanical part) moving from a ready state to fully disengaged, or vice versa.

Last edited:

Niceguy235

I am sure most car makers experience teething issues, some of which no doubt dont get sorted, but the mk8 Golf has been a disaster.

VW are making very little effort to deal with them, which many people have now given up and either got their money back or have cancelled their orders.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I am sure most car makers experience teething issues, some of which no doubt dont get sorted, but the mk8 Golf has been a disaster.

VW are making very little effort to deal with them, which many people have now given up and either got their money back or have cancelled their orders.
Disaster isn’t how I’d describe it personally, other than a few temporary short lived bongs, I’m not experiencing anything that would make me get shot of the car, mine is a 2022MY, I think this is important, many of the controllers have been revised since the mk8 was first introduced, although many earlier cars are now running the latest software, my hunch is that issues persist due to them still having earlier revisions of critical control modules, some owners have reported having hardware replaced as a final roll of the dice by the dealership, and as far as I can tell from reading the forums it seemingly fixes the persistent issues that are frustrating so many.

bestservedwarm

Well back to my original post (and thank you for the replies!), what a pile of shit this car is. barely 2 years old, it had all the software problems and had to have a new controller fitted. It was a nightmare going back and forth to the dealer to say the least.

Now from time to time it feels like the gearbox falls on the floor with a loud thud ‘ knock when I switch off the engine.

Coming from a BMW, this Golf feels flimsy and poorly built.

I mean, i can see exposed wires where they didn’t bother to even provide a warning triangle in the tailgate‘s recess. Awful!!!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Well back to my original post (and thank you for the replies!), what a pile of shit this car is. barely 2 years old, it had all the software problems and had to have a new controller fitted. It was a nightmare going back and forth to the dealer to say the least.

Now from time to time it feels like the gearbox falls on the floor with a loud thud ‘ knock when I switch off the engine.

Coming from a BMW, this Golf feels flimsy and poorly built.

I mean, i can see exposed wires where they didn’t bother to even provide a warning triangle in the tailgate‘s recess. Awful!!!

Sorry to hear about your issues with your Golf. Sadly, you aren’t the only one.

On the issue of build quality; I think VW’s build quality has slipped over the years. When I bought my first VW back in 2002 it felt a little bit special - it seemed better built, exhibited a certain German solidity and had an ‘almost premium’, better ‘screwed together’ feel when compared to other mainstream competitors. Switchgear felt solid and possibly over-engineered, blue instrument illumination looked quite special and doors closed with a satisfying very solid sounding clunk. Even little details like the luggage hooks in the boot were chrome and folded out of the way when not in use, and panel gaps and shut lines were tight and uniform. Fast forward to 2022 and IMHO VW’s build quality is average and no longer ahead of the competition. I’d say the build quality of my current VW (bought new in 2020) isn’t as good as some other early examples I’ve owned.

VW is sometimes referred to as a premium brand on some forums by others. I personally don’t consider it to be a premium brand - it’s VAG’s volume brand (some others may disagree and consider VW to be premium). Many of the Asian car manufacturers have made great strides in terms of the build quality of their products and I’d say that VW needs to view this competition as a serious threat to their market position - something they can’t afford to ignore.

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
My Golf has been a disaster in the 19 months I've owned it and I will be getting rid of it in the next few weeks. The trim plastics in my wife's fiat 500 don't creak when touched or prodded and her doors don't require an expensive treatment of Krytox oil to silence the doors Rubbing against the seals nor has her car spent over 3 months sitting in the main dealers while they await instruction or parts to fix a never ending list of faults. Vw build quality is atrocious!

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Many of the Asian car manufacturers have made great strides in terms of the build quality of their products

Not just asian - french caught up/overtook as well, after sitting in the new 308 as well as test driving the new Megane E-Tech. Just 10 years ago i'd have laughed you out of the door if you suggested a Peugeot or Renault as a replacement for a VW - now, on the other hand..

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Not just asian - french caught up/overtook as well, after sitting in the new 308 as well as test driving the new Megane E-Tech. Just 10 years ago i'd have laughed you out of the door if you suggested a Peugeot or Renault as a replacement for a VW - now, on the other hand..
Agree 100%. And the Megane E-Tech Electric is a fine looking, stylish car IMHO. VW’s equivalent offering - the ID.3 on the other hand, looks very ‘ordinary’ and the ID.3’s interior looks very low rent compared to the Megane E-Tech Electric’s interior.