GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trans Oil Leak left side of engine. DSG

SennaS

Passed Driver's Ed
Just picked up a 23 GTI. Have noticed a small but steady leak on drivers side bottom. Can’t tell where it’s originating from but see a liquid on the bottom of a 1/2 inch hose. (Either trans or coolant) that sits above the front side of the trans. Seepage then runs along the seam in the transmission case. Any ideas before I take it in?

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Water Tread Helmet

SennaS

Passed Driver's Ed
Got it back from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the pan at the fromt of the transmission. Looks much better but today I again see one drop coming from the inboard side of the case. Not thrilled. Will keep my eye on it.

SennaS

Passed Driver's Ed
So, after the second visit to the dealer the conclusion is poorly milled trans case. Two of the pictures clearly show issues with the coolant hose input (output?) connection. I’m not sure what the other 2 are showing. They are saying new transmission needed.

Also told they are on back order with no ETA. I’m much less than thrilled. I did start a case with VWoA and a regional rep is supposed to contact me. Any advice for how to deal with them when they do?
IMG_1060.jpeg
IMG_1061.jpeg
IMG_1062.jpeg
IMG_1063.jpeg

C0TT1S

Passed Driver's Ed
I think your best option would be to refuse the car. If the part is on back order with no ETA you could be waiting longer for the car to be fix than you could for a replacement car to arrive. It very much depends on what options you’ve selected. If you’ve got a stock car a replacement could be easily sourced by the regional rep. If you’ve optioned up they may be able to find a replacement car with near on what you’ve got. Ultimately if the car is leaking I wouldn’t be driving it in case damage is caused.

SennaS

Passed Driver's Ed
Spoke to the VWoA case manager today. I had to fill HER in on the latest info. She had zero empathy. I said I wanted a replacement. She said I had to wait the 30 days. I’m trying now to escalate/appeal as it’s obvious to me it will not be fixed in a month.

C0TT1S

Passed Driver's Ed
Spoke to the VWoA case manager today. I had to fill HER in on the latest info. She had zero empathy. I said I wanted a replacement. She said I had to wait the 30 days. I’m trying now to escalate/appeal as it’s obvious to me it will not be fixed in a month.
I think she has to follow the book to a certain degree but to have zero empathy doesn’t really work in VWs favour. The 30 days will be a minimum time factor VW have to fix the problem but as the parts on back order there’s very little doubt it can be fixed in that time frame. I would absolutely escalate it as you’re now without a car for a month realistically. Strange as over here in the U.K. if this happened they would have provided a cover car at least for the time being. Might be worth a too down approach and emailing the Head of VWoA normally their secretary will get back to you but it makes them aware. You wanna make as much noise as you can really.

SennaS

Passed Driver's Ed
Exactly. I do have a loaner car. Today I contacted VWoA corporate offices and left a message for an executive contact there to get this escalated. I hope to speak with him tomorrow morning.

SennaS

Passed Driver's Ed
Still haven’t heard back from MI HQ. Will call again Monday. The Regional Case manager called back but is of little use. I once again had to give her the details. She’ll finally talk to the dealer where the car is currently sitting on Monday where she’ll hear the same things I told her. I said I wanted a replacement vehicle but all she said was possible was a buy back. I don’t think we’re on the same page yet. I really just want to talk to corporate.

Last edited:

SennaS

Passed Driver's Ed
So…..after purchasing my MK8 one month ago today and having the issues above I picked up my new GTI SE today. Happy with the speed and options VWoA gave me but I had to work this hard with both the corporate executive office contact (great) and the CR&R contact. They gave me a buyback option plus loyalty money towards a new or CPO VW/Audi or more money to keep the car and wait for a fix.

If I had any concrete timeframe for when a transmission would be available I would wait but the uncertainty plus the offer swung me to the buyback. Also DSG MK8s are very very scarce in the Midwest. So I pounced. Here she is even though it’s a ‘King.’:cool: Oh, and I had the salesman have it put on the lift to check out after a test drive. Once bitten twice shy.

70501850287__3EDF73CA-D139-456D-9A8D-34F027A97459.jpeg

70501842136__010237AD-A8FA-4A55-823B-2DD28926089D.jpeg

Last edited:

C0TT1S

Passed Driver's Ed
So…..after purchasing my MK8 one month ago today and having the issues above I picked up my new GTI SE today. Happy with the speed and options VWoA gave me but I had to work this hard with both the corporate executive office contact (great) and the CR&R contact. They gave me a buyback option plus loyalty money towards a new or CPO VW/Audi or more money to keep the car and wait for a fix.

If I had any concrete timeframe for when a transmission would be available I would wait but the uncertainty plus the offer swung me to the buyback. Also DSG MK8s are very very scarce in the Midwest. So I pounced. Here she is even though it’s a ‘King.’:cool: Oh, and I had the salesman have it put on the lift to check out after a test drive. Once bitten twice shy.

View attachment 280207

View attachment 280208
looks great and glad you got a decent result. At least VW put something right even if you had to work for it. Stunning colour as well.