GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

UV Protection in Darker Windows of Golf MK8: Should I Add UV Films?

electroasd

Hello everyone!

Today, a friend mentioned that even if cars have darker windows, it doesn't mean they have UV protection.

This is my second car with darker rear windows, and I was unaware of this.

In my first car, a VW Polo, I added UV protection films only to the front driver's side window, matching the tint of the rear.

Upon checking my current car, I found that the rear windows are labeled AS3. This means the glass transmits less than 35% of the light, indicating it likely has a high degree of tint or reflective coating.

The front windows are standard.

I tried to gather more information but had limited success. I did find out that the windshield has UV protection, but there's no indication about the other windows.

So, my question is: Should I apply UV protective film to all windows or just the front ones?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
All automotive glass blocks most of the UV-B rays, but only the windscreen blocks a high percentage of harmful UV-A rays, this is largely due to its lamination, tinted glass does not block UV-A simply because it’s tinted, some cars do have laminated side windows, Audi for example had this as an option on the A6 to reduce sound, but as a side effect it would also help block UV-A, most cars however don’t have laminated side windows, so you’d need to find an alternative to achieve this, my assumption is that window tint FILM is the difference here, as factory tint is actually dyed glass, therefor doesn’t have the same effect.