GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Visit dealer with jb1 installed

teslas

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all, I am looking for some additional confirmation that I'm good here.

I have a 2017 GTI that is out of warranty. I have 53,000 miles on it. I need to visit the dealer to make a claim on the water pump that Volkswagen currently has provided an extended warranty service available to all 2017 owners.

I really don't want to remove the Jb1 from the car in order to make the warranty claim. Since I'm out of my standard 50K mileage warranty, do I need to even be concerned about the JB1 being attached when I visit? Or should I just boldy head in with the thing still attached as there is no powertrain warranty the worry about?

RopeJumper13

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I believe the 2017 GTI only came with a 3 Year/36,000 basic warranty and 5 year/60,000 powertrain warranty. Milage aside, your warranty has been gone for a while. I (personally) don't see how a tune could cause a water pump issue on a car with well documented water pump issues. I imagine you should be fine with the JB1 but there is nothing stopping them from reporting it as tuned but it won't return a TD1 warranty flag if they scan the car.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
It really seems to vary dealer to dealer and who's working that day on how claims go. I've gotten warranty work done before on my intake manifold but removed the intake and boost tap first. Car was tuned as well but they didnt say anything. Just figured the more things I removed the less they could hassle me about. I've heard the horror stories as well so YMMV.

teslas

Passed Driver's Ed
What you say makes sense Ropejumper. But why won't I get a td1 flag if I leave the jb1 connected?

And what is the difference between a td1 and getting reported?

Proxima2

Ready to race!
I would ask....does your tune in any way effect the water pump. I guess it might work a bit harder due to increased performance but that is pretty lame. Therefore, and this is just common sense here.....dont blast me......that your tune in no way is connected to your water pump wear or whatever and therefore, does not effect the service.
I had my steering rack go after a year of a new purchase. The tech dude tried to pin the defective rack on my car being lowered. I called BS....he backed down. In other words.....VW does not want pissed off owners.