GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Volume / heater button illumination?

MrGolf112

Why does the volume / heater not have a backlight on it?

Why would VW make a car and send it to market without a this having a backlight on it so drivers can adjust the volume / temperature when it's dark very odd to miss something so obvious.

Do we know if this will ever be fixed or are we stuck with this issue?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Why does the volume / heater not have a backlight on it?
Because VW thought it was a good idea?

On a serious note, it’s been commented on many times by the motoring press and owners as being a strange oversight on VW’s part. It does make you wonder how the lack of illumination got signed off within VW prior to the mk8 launch - maybe sign off was based on focus group feedback and the focus group wasn’t representative of the typical Golf owner? Other VAG brands (and I think other VW models) that use the same or similar design of panel below the infotainment screen also have non-illuminated volume and heating controls.

Some members on various forums are of the opinion that those controls don’t need to be illuminated. Really? the last time I owned a car without illuminated controls for heating was back in 1982. IMHO lack of illumination is less of an issue with the volume controls as the steering wheel buttons can be used. Voice control can be also used for adjusting the cabin temperature, however……..I maybe wrong but I don’t think voice control is standard on any model of the mk8 Golf; it’s an extra cost option. I think you may get voice control if the expensive optional Discover Pro media unit is specified. Voice control can also be a bit ‘hit and miss’ for some owners, especially those with strong regional accents.

Do we know if this will ever be fixed or are we stuck with this issue?
IMHO it’s unlikely to be fixed on existing cars. Hopefully it’s something VW will have addressed when the mk8.5 facelift model is launched.

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Update to the slider controls is coming, according to VW it wasn't ready in time for the facelifted ID.3 just released, but will when the new updated hardware is available - probably early next year. apparently it will be in all future VAG models where deemed. Crazy idea in the first place - for example the curent Golf Mk8 sunroof control is a "slider" and it's backlit.