GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

We Connect does not!

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
removing the cable from the battery for a minute and this will restart the telematic unit.You will get a few errors with the sensors but after a few km's it's all good
Does that lose the personalistion settings and radio favourites etc?

If not may be worth a try...

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I’m almost afraid to say but I have found out why my We Connect stopped working.

For some reason I decided to check my Privacy Settings only find that it was set to ‘Maximum privacy‘ rather than ‘Share my position‘. I had definitely not changed the settings myself so the car must have done it itself! In Maximum privacy the eSIM is deactivate so, obviously, the car can’t communicate with my iPhone.

Why would the car change it’s settings by itself? Very weird and annoying! Why oh why didn’t I think of checking my Privacy settings?

Last edited:

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Thank god got that sorted😉
About the battery trick, removing the cable for 10 seconds wont lose personalization, clock or other ..
Talked to a couple that have done it and they had no problem with that😉.
Actually i am told that this is what VW actually do before they start messing with the telematic unit…

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks @Massimo 2323

@Maturedriver - ensuring privacy is set to least restrictive is the first thing to check if the car loses connection.

If it's set to maximum privacy you will see an icon like a spy in the top right of the infotainment screen.

The most likely reason for switching to maximum privacy is that the user is set to 'guest' rather than 'primary'. This could happen, for example, if you use a different key to the one normally associated with the primary user.

In guest user mode, privacy defaults to maximum (most restrictive).

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Sadly when I was at school neither the digital watch or electronic calculator had been invented. When I got my first car (Austin Healey ‘Frogeyed’ Sprite) it didn’t even have a radio let alone a infotainment screen. I have to work hard to fully understand all this modern computery stuff.

kromark

Hi all! Bought a brand new MK8, the small globe was always grey since that and I was not able to connect the car. Says I have "no license" to all services, though there should be basic default license.

kromark

I had the same issue right after I bought a car. All permissions were on, etc, etc. Went to the dealership, a guy just unplugged the battery and plugged it in, then everything started to work (you'll also need to adjust the sensors after you plug-unplug the battery by turning the steering wheel from one side to another for several times).

Last edited:

Tsvox75

I had the same issue right after I bought a car. All permissions were on, etc, etc. Went to the dealership, a guy just unplugged the battery and plugged it in, then everything started to work (you'll also need to adjust the sensors after you plug-unplug the battery by turning the steering wheel from one side another for several times).
Thank you very much. I will try this. SO far I can't even register as main user.

kromark

You won't be able until the car will finally connect to VW server. I was not able too, but after the issue was fixed it was easy.