GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windscreen heated only when car moves

da_gr8_n1785

Car(s)
Golf 2013 1.4 TSI
Like many people here I am having issues defrosting the windscreen at this time of year. Except in my case blasting the windscreen with air only makes the problem worse because the air doesn't warm up on its own - even after 10 minutes of the engine running.
The engine temperature gauge on the dashboard doesn't change at all during those 10 minutes.
It finally does change when the car moves even a few metres then seconds later suddenly the temperature gauge starts to rise and I begin to see dry areas appear on the windscreen as the condensation finally disappates.

Obviously moving the car has started some process which warms the air being fed into the cabin however this is very dangerous because the fog is obscuring my view. I can wipe the window just enough to get a brief view outside before it refogs but this is far from ideal.

I am positive the heater is not meant to work this way. I have taken it to my mechanic who cannot tell me what the problem is, primarily because the problem is gone before I arrive and he can feel warm air being moved through the vents (as it should be).

I hope the experts here can give me some tips or advice to get the heater working without risking the life of pedestrians around me.

Edit: Doh! I drive a 2013 Golf 1.4 TSI Bluemotion
Edit 2: Attached is a photo of the infotainment system and A/C system

Attachments

• GolfAC.jpg
    GolfAC.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Have your RPMs already settled to normal idle after the cold start higher Rev?

Heating may be disabled during cold start to focus on cat preheating or other emissions related things.

da_gr8_n1785

Car(s)
Golf 2013 1.4 TSI
I had to check it twice to make sure but yes it seems the engine properly idles after 5 minutes. I also found out the heating will kick in even if i reverse for a metre. So it's just the movement of the car or the wheels?