GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Off center front plate

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
My license plate is off center to the left by about 3 inches in the front. Do you think the dealer should have to replace it if I want it centered?

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
The bracket is screwed right into the bumper. If you take it off you see 4 eye sore drilled holes.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Oh...hmmm...

Well, if they screwed that on the wrong spot, I don't know what to tell you there. Hopefully they are cool about it, but wouldn't the holes be exposed now if they move it?

givenuponsociety

Autocross Newbie
heres what i have to say about that.....if you see someone running at your gti mkv bumper with a drill, drive as fast as you can away, lol.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Make em fix it. It is new car. Plain and simple.

Fast Eddie GTI

Autocross Newbie
I would take it back and ask them politely about it. You should be able to talk them into ordering you up a new front piece since they screwed yours up. Tell them to install the new front piece and you'll install the bracket...'cause you'd rather do it yourself.

Voila! No front plate AND no holes!

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
kirk180 said:
to the left by about 3 inches in the front.

Three inches? Really? This would be very noticable. Wouldn't this be very noticable during your pre-sign inspection? Not sure why you would have signed for the car with something like this. IMO, if you signed for the car with this condition, you are effectively telling the Dealer you think it is OK.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I bought the car when it was 275 miles away at a different dealer. The exact package I wanted had to be located and sent up. Then when I went for final signing it was back in the shop getting its final detail. Not to mention I had a 6 yr old son who kept tugging on me and asking "Is it time to go yet? Is it time to go yet?" You get the picture.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
kirk180 said:
I bought the car when it was 275 miles away at a different dealer. The exact package I wanted had to be located and sent up. Then when I went for final signing it was back in the shop getting its final detail. Not to mention I had a 6 yr old son who kept tugging on me and asking "Is it time to go yet? Is it time to go yet?" You get the picture.

I understand, but the condition of a new car, even at this low price point, seems too important to not give it a good inspection under the right conditions.

I usually allow 1 1/2 to 2 hours for the inspection process before I would sign. I also give the Dealer a list of special conditions at least 2 days prior to delivery that must be met (like "off truck" pre-inspection access, availability of lift for underside inspection, "do not wax" stipulation, delivery only in daylight, no rain, or inside, no plate bracket mounting (that is best done DIY), etc).

There are certain types of damage that can't be fixed on a new car (paint defect being the biggest, glass scratches, etc).

Also, I have learned to never accept a Dealer trade. The car must come directly to the Dealer from VW's Distribution network. Otherwise, you have no confidence that it have no been abused or damaged, maybe in some hidden way.

You have the right to refuse the car and not loose your deposit, if it is not in acceptable condition, before you sign. After you sign, you are stuck and only can negotiate a repair of the car.

Hope this works out for you.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Well, never really being financially able to afford new cars until the last couple of years I guess I can only cop out by saying I was not nearly as experienced as you were at this process and will take it as a learning lesson. I'm going to go their Monday with a good attitude and see where it gets me. Not to mention they know I plan on using them for all my service request so hopefully they will consider that before "burning a bridge". We'll see. Thanks for the advice in the future. As I'm sure I'll be getting sometjhing new when this one's paid off.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
kirk180 said:
I'm going to go their Monday with a good attitude and see where it gets me.

I am sure VW provides the location instructions to the Dealer for the bracket. Have them show it to you.

If the bracket is not located to VW spec, you get a new bumper cover, grill surround, etc-what ever is damaged.

You can insist on replaced parts in this case, not repaired or covered over.

Take pictures, in case you need to go to VW on this.

(Is it likely the previous Dealer, not your Dealer, did this damage?)

Good luck.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Well I took the car to the dealer today to show them just how much my front plate was off center and they couldn't believe it when they saw it either and had absolutely no problem ordering me a new bumper and eating the cost to do so and swap it out for me. Boy did that make my day. I really like my dealer. They even told me that they will swap it out and not put the plate on for me so that I can keep it off.:evil: