GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ok i have to ask...

Tricky

Autocross Newbie
No regrets about buying the car at all. Glad I went with the manual over the DSG because I too can see myself becoming a lazy driver and just using D.

MKBoulder

Ready to race!
Dont even hesitate to get the DSG.. I am probably one of the few people that have actually owned both the manual and the DSG at this point.... I had a 6MT first and tired of it after a short time. I now have the DSG and can tell you that it is the tranny of the future.
My previous cars include 911's, TVR's and a host of other exotica.

The DSG + Golf is a mind blowing combination. Think "budget M5".....

frankly you will drive the DSG in manual a lot more than you think because it is quite perfect. On the other hand it is heaven to have the sweetest auto ever created when you want to sit in a long line of traffic.

Also, on VW vortex there is a guy with a 6MT and his car has already dropped the clutch with only 2K miles. VW are not covering it under warranty !!!! Need I say any more ?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I only regret maybe not going all out on the options for this car. Getting the car fully loaded.....except for the DSG. It wasn't me. I love to be "connected" to the car with the manual tranny. I too thought about the DSG and think when it comes to an auto, the DSG is the way to go. Every car should be that way when it is a auto. But Jay Leno said it best when asked which he prefers, " When driving a manual you fell like you are part of the machine and that you are more intune with the car..." Sweetly enough the DSG does come pretty close for those that want or have to have an automatic. I am just glad that VW decided to put in the DSG instead of a Triptronic.

icbigotenks

Ready to race!
I cant argue very much because i still drive a 5 speed mkiv, but i dont posibbly understand how a person with paddle shifting can posibble have more control over the car then someone who has a clutch?? any comments?

MKBoulder

Ready to race!
icbigotenks said:
I cant argue very much because i still drive a 5 speed mkiv, but i dont posibbly understand how a person with paddle shifting can posibble have more control over the car then someone who has a clutch?? any comments?

Go test drive it... Does Michael Schumacher have a clutch ? I think you find the answer to that is no !

MKBoulder

Ready to race!
but i just wonder

Freek said:
So any of u regretting anything about your GTI or GLI?

me personally...its not so much a regret as much as it is a 'what if'...but i wonder what my car would have been like with the 6MT and not the DSG...granted i LOVE my DSG...but i just wonder if i would have enjoyed the car more or less with a 6MT

so anything u all wish u would have done different?

Try going back now... Ha Ha Ha... Believe me it would suck !

dmclone

Oval Champion
The DSG was one of the biggest reasons I chose the GTI over an Si. I’ve had 10+ manual cars and I prefer DSG.

As far as options, I got option package 1. If I had my choice I would have just got the DSG and nothing else. I’ve had a lot of sunroofs and barely ever use them and as soon as my trial is done with XM I will get rid of that also. I would take the money spent on package #1 and just buy a good stereo.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
Kurupt-MK5 said:
i regret nothing and treasure everything

+1:clap:

GTT

Touring Car Champion
If the clutch manual had better clutch pedal placement, this would be a harder decision and I would probably go for the clutch manual.
However, the clutch placement sucks for me and I don't like it one bit. So, the DSG makes it's case better for me as I am extremely impressed with how UNautomatic if feels.
There is not slushbox lag or torque converter lockup "feel".

I'm glad there is an DSG available cause the clutch pedal placement may have turned me off to the GTI completely as I woud never get a conventional automatic.

T

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
GTT, reason there's no slushbox lag or torque converter lockup is because it's not a slushbox using a torque converter; it's actually two clutches :p
Sorry if you knew that, just pointing it out again ;-)

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
GTT said:
If the clutch manual had better clutch pedal placement, this would be a harder decision and I would probably go for the clutch manual.
However, the clutch placement sucks for me and I don't like it one bit. So, the DSG makes it's case better for me as I am extremely impressed with how UNautomatic if feels.
There is not slushbox lag or torque converter lockup "feel".

I'm glad there is an DSG available cause the clutch pedal placement may have turned me off to the GTI completely as I woud never get a conventional automatic.

T

man and here i thought i was the only one that couldnt stand the placement of the clutch pedal....i test drove 2 6MT and in both i couldnt get a feel for the clutch pedal...it was too soft and way too close to the brake...it was partly the reason i got the DSG

GTI2007

The clutch pedal placement is almost the same for the MK5 Golf as it was for the MK4 Golf. The first pic are the pedals of the MK4 GTI and the second pic are the pedals of the MK5 GTI. So for people who come or came from an earlier MK Golf will have no problems with the placement of the clutch pedal. It may look weird for you coming from a BMW but to me it looks almost the same as the pedals of my MK4 Golf

Attachments

• VW_Golf_GTI_04_1600+.jpg
    VW_Golf_GTI_04_1600+.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 241
  • gti0363mk.jpg
    gti0363mk.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 227