GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RHD GTIs made where?

bennelong

Hi all,

New to the forum, from Oz...

Looking to get a Candy White GTI, but dealers are advising anywhere from 6 to 9 months for delivery.

AFAIK, all Australian Golfs, including GTIs, come from South Africa.

Question is - I've heard, and now seen, the comment that "demand in Europe is dropping off, so we may be able to get more production sent to Australia, and shorten the wait".

Where are UK GTIs made? Surely not South Africa as well? I thought Wolfsburg? :confused: That'd explain the mega-wait out here.

Original story here: http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=11242&vf=1

Thanks all,
ben.

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
IIRC, RHD 5-door GTIs are built in South Africa.

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
dthong said:
I was told by my dealer that it was South Africa..

the 6-9 month wait is a killer. My invoice says "December" delivery...:brokenheart:
:eek:

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
yep South Africa, i waited 8 months for mine. I didnt really feel it as I wasn't exactly in a rush for it since I had another car which I loved and was sad to see go but its been 2 days now since Ive got mine and its a choice I haven't regretted.

bennelong

Thanks guys...

VW_GTI - that's what I thought...Golfsburg. :smile:
Dr Woo - is that for all markets, including UK/Ireland?

Found this over at vwvortex - similar thread about waiting times for delivery in Oz...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2509439

Basically, if the reports are true, we could be getting GTIs from both South Africa and Germany, to try and cut the wait list.
Which would be nice.

If VWA can't get down to around 3 months, I may well get something else - 6-9 months is a ridiculous time to wait for a car.

Carn

Drag Racing Champion
Unfortunate as it is, the situation here in SA is no better with waiting lists stretching to almost 10 months at some dealerships. I ordered mine in September and will only be getting it 1st week in May. I am prepared to wait, it is afterall an awesome car.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Got mine from Wolfsburg and I live in USA. The lot I went to had about 6 of them there waiting to be sold. Every VW lot has at least a few sitting there waiting to be sold. I guess they must be trying to make a big impact here with it if everyone else is having a hard time getting one. Once I decided to own one I picked it up 3 days later. I'm not bragging, I'm just amazed that there is such a shortage on demand for you guys to obtain. Over here I was under the impression that they were being supplied in mass quantities. Oh well, good luck on your purchase down in OZ. Later

dthong

Ready to race!
bennelong said:
If VWA can't get down to around 3 months, I may well get something else - 6-9 months is a ridiculous time to wait for a car.

Put the deposit down for the car with a special condition on the contract indicating that you can cancel it for a full deposit refund. That way you can look for another car and if you don't find another one, at least you're ahead on the waiting list.

That was my thinking anyway. :laugh:

bennelong

dthong said:
Put the deposit down for the car with a special condition on the contract indicating that you can cancel it for a full deposit refund. That way you can look for another car and if you don't find another one, at least you're ahead on the waiting list.

That was my thinking anyway. :laugh:

Good idea. I'm going to test drive a few different cars over the next month or so - I'll keep this in mind when I go back to the VW dealer. :biggrin:

(Even tho' I'm checking out other cars, I'm pretty sure I'll get the GTI anyway, but I need to supply the "supporting evidence" to the missus...)

katie

Autocross Champion
Mine is made in Germany =) There are actually a lot of them at the dealerships here in Houston, but I still had to wait 3 weeks to get the one that I wanted. I wanted Sirius when all the cars available had XM. The dealership found one in Illinois and had it sent here.