GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Peak torque / turbo lag?

GTT

Touring Car Champion
T1noandaudi said:
cool. thanks for the info.
but i'am impressed how the 2.0T can accelerate decently in 5th gear.

It's really impressive.
The WRX at 55mph in 5th does NOT generate much thrust at all. It's in fact quite lackluster.
But, it's torque curve is not as broad and that AWD system, plus it's laggier turbo, conspire against high speed high gear accel.
The new 2.5 liter WRX is much improved, but still doesn't have the 2.0T engines quick spool.
The diret fuel injection really helps as it allows much higher compression ratio, for a turbo, that gives it the ability to produce torque lower in the rev. band.
It's is quite an impressive engine, and it's talked about in tech articles quite a bit.
The biggest negative I've read, and heard, is the low rpm first start diesel type rough sounds it makes, but overall it's a fantastic engine.

T

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Wild Hare said:
That was very true with turbo cars of long ago. Technology has come leaps ahead.
The VW/Audi 1.8t's and 2.0t's are from 1800-5500 a very flat curve. You won't even notice!
I've have driven new technology and old and the latest is kick butt/haul ass!

So true. Modern engine controls and direct injection, and variable timing, etc...
all give us more power and better broader power while still giving excellent MPG, given the performance.

The 1.8t was nice, but it had much more noticeable lag. The torque was decent, but the overall feel was of "lag", though it spooled decently.
The power delivery of the 1.8t and 2.0T are vastly different in output in my opinion, and just in sheer number, but in the way they develop their power.

T

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
I still miss the high powered turbo that was in my Jap MR2 MKII...that sweet sound as you hit the mid mark on the turbo dial....the inertia alone was such a rush :evil:

bilbos

On the Kop
GTT said:
The 1.8t was nice, but it had much more noticeable lag. The torque was decent, but the overall feel was of "lag", though it spooled decently.
The power delivery of the 1.8t and 2.0T are vastly different in output in my opinion, and just in sheer number, but in the way they develop their power.

T

Totally agree with you there.

On my previous cars which had the 1.8T, the turbo never seemed to lick in properly until about 3000rpm, when you would get a massive push. With the GTI it seems to come in earlier and a lot smoother aswell.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I have a seriously modded A4 1.8t Audi and have to say that the 2.0 direct injection makes up for the lag in my 1.8t after all my mods!

That's why I'm going for a 5-door white GTi and saying bye-bye to my '98 Audi!
Great car,Audi, but looking for more fun like my '83 GTI I still own since day one.
With all the mods it has it('83 Gti) will give a 5.0 Mustang a run for it's money!

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Wild Hare said:
I have a seriously modded A4 1.8t Audi and have to say that the 2.0 direct injection makes up for the lag in my 1.8t after all my mods!

That's why I'm going for a 5-door white GTi and saying bye-bye to my '98 Audi!
Great car,Audi, but looking for more fun like my '83 GTI I still own since day one.
With all the mods it has it('83 Gti) will give a 5.0 Mustang a run for it's money!

The more I see the GTI 5 door in red the more I like it.
Too bad it won't be here in time to test out before I need to get a new car,
unless I decide to buy this lease and wait. Hmmmm..............?

T