GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Military enlistment bonuses

Sp00led Ya

Passed Driver's Ed
How do military enlistment bonuses generally work? I am enlisting in the Air National Guard almost for sure and the job I may pick comes with "incentives"... I checked the key for "Incentives" on the job qualification sheet from the recruiter he emailed me, because I wanted to see EVERYthing I qualified for, and it came with incentives, it said either GI Bill "Kicker" $20,000 loan repayment for life... or $10,000 Bonus. I was wondering when that money ends up in my pocket and if it's really all it's cracked up to be... I mean hell, if it comes to me once my training is finished as long as I sign such and such a term with the guard, that $10,000 on top of the money I will have saved when IN training... down payment on a NEW EVO! WOOT! Any insider info on this or is it generally hook line and sinker BS?

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
hey mang, i went in about 2 years ago, they give it to you after you finish your schooling.also, when i got it, they only gave me 8k$ of it upfront, the rest is given to you in increments. also, it is TAXED. lol, so talk to the guy, and figure out the numbers so there is no bs involved. im sitting on 12.5k$ over here in iraq, just waiting to get back to germany so i can buy a euro-usdm spec gti.

NYDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Retired First Sergeant here, so some of my info may be dated.

In the Air Guard, the 20K GI Bill Kicker is something that stays in a fund and you get yearly payments to that until it is exhausted. You never see it IN your pocket so to speak.

The Enlistment Bonuses are new to me. I hate the thought that they can give someone money to join but won't give the guys doing the Training of these new guys re-enlistment bonuses. As to when the enlistment bonus is paid out, double check with a recruiter.

Good Luck in your Career!

Chris

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
Just a thought...a really random thought...but if you are going to be getting a lump some of $$ why don't you put it towards something that will make you money.

Sp00led Ya

Passed Driver's Ed
Like STOCKS? Mutual funds? Hell that is a whole other animal, maybe I should start reading into that stuff. I wonder what make potential $6,000-$10,000 can get you if the stock is right but hell what if it plumets? Are stocks close to gambling?

Chongman805

have a BIG one ;-)
remember this number...... 28% It is how much you get taxed. But you know what? You probably already took the bonus and joined a long time ago.

EOD_ron

Wanting to drive again
Pretty much everyone has stated truth about the bonuses. My enlistment bonus was only 4 grand, after AIT, I recieved 2 and whatever amount annually. Now I do recommend re-enlisting in the shit box. What MOS are signing up for?