GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Few Questions Regarding 5 drs GTI

Prost

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Car(s)
2019 VW eGOLF SEL
Hi,

I am planning to buy the MKV GTI 5 drs when it comes out later this year; I have several questions that hopefully someone can answer me:

1) I am planning to switch to euro switch for the extra light controls once I have the GTI, there are two kinds, one with auto feature and the other don't, which one should I get if all I want is to get extra light controls. Did the auto function work on the GTI even if it has no light sensor? Do I have to disable the DRL if I switch to either euro switch?

2) I know the GTI come with HID standard, but does it come with the auto-leveling function (auto-level as up and down, not left and right)?

3) Can I order the GTI 5 drs now, or should I wait till it comes out?

4) Anyone think of the Audi A3 before you decide on the GTI?

5) Regarding the DSG, do I have to set the "stick" to the (+/-) side in order to use the paddle shift? What is the "off" function on the right side of the paddle?

6) last but now least, can I retrofit the power seats to the GTI like the European version?

Thanks in advance for all the help :bow:

Prost

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I don't want to give advice on anything I'm not too sure of. But the one I test drove a paddle shift on did not need moved over to the right. You just shifted it whenever you wanted under standard automatic function. Then it had the option to shift it over in order to shift at the stick with the up and down movement of it. Does this make any sense? Hope so.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Prost said:
Hi,

1) I am planning to switch to euro switch for the extra light controls once I have the GTI, there are two kinds, one with auto feature and the other don't, which one should I get if all I want is to get extra light controls. Did the auto function work on the GTI even if it has no light sensor? Do I have to disable the DRL if I switch to either euro switch?Prost

This one is a tough one I don't know. I personally am programming DRL off with a VAGCOM. I think the correct switch is the non-auto one, amd you will need the Euro taillight assemblies to make it all work right. You could also ask on the MkV forum over at vortex.

Prost said:
2) I know the GTI come with HID standard, but does it come with the auto-leveling function (auto-level as up and down, not left and right)?Prost
All HID's are auto leveling. Even if you lower the car, it will compensate

Prost said:
3) Can I order the GTI 5 drs now, or should I wait till it comes out?Prost
I ordered mine already. 'Course I also have R32 tails, and full coilovers sitting in my garage waiting for the car already! My dealer thinks he can actually order the cars in mid-April as he is ordering advertisig stuff the end of March. Look for the first cars in early July.

Prost said:
4) Anyone think of the Audi A3 before you decide on the GTI?Prost
Yep. Great car, but for the $$ I couldn't justify it over the GTI. Plus I like the lines on the GTI better. I will be putting the alloy paddles from the A3 in my GTI though!

Prost said:
5) Regarding the DSG, do I have to set the "stick" to the (+/-) side in order to use the paddle shift? What is the "off" function on the right side of the paddle?Prost
I don't kow what you have to do. If you run it just in the "D" position the paddles will work but you can't rev as high I think. This puts the computer into "sport" mode. If you push it over to the slot, you can bounce it off the revlimiter if you wanted to do that to your car ( I didi it to the demo), You can also then shift froim the lever like a tiptronic as well.

Prost said:
6) last but now least, can I retrofit the power seats to the GTI like the European version?Prost
Should bolt in, but I have no idea about the airbag issues, or getting power to them. Good thing about the 5 door is some 3 door guys are bound to try this out first and we can learn from their efforts!

Prost said:

Prost

No worries, and welcome to the club!

dodweld

Ready to race!
Nearly bought A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro

Nearly bought A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro but felt at £24k it just didn't standout from the crowd, The dealer (sales guy was a waste of space) so went next door and ordered red GTI, 5door with leather iwith no hassle from the sales man he evan gave me a bottle of wine to go home with once i payed my desposit) interior not as nice as audi but I think it looks a million dollars better !! hope i don't miss the four wheel drive, always have doubt about 200bhp through front wheels but hear the ESP does its thing. More space inside, bigger boot (trunk)

azmcs

dodweld said:
Nearly bought A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro but felt at £24k it just didn't standout from the crowd, ......hope i don't miss the four wheel drive, always have doubt about 200bhp through front wheels but hear the ESP does its thing. More space inside, bigger boot (trunk)

Just a note to my stateside brethren, the A3 is not available here with Quattro unless you get the 3.2 V6 engine. Great car, and would be my choice over the GTI but way too much $$$. Gonna wait until the R36:wink:

Also so everyone is clear, the A3 and GTI have the same floor plan and wheelbase. The interior room difference is only because the cutback onthe hatch is less severe. Also a significant fator in my decision! Gotta have room for the pooch with the kids in the car!

Last edited:

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Prost said:

I am still considering the A3 because of the very restrictive color selections in the GTI.

If the 5 dr. GTI can only be ordered with black interior (I am no longer 18 yrs old!) then I will order the A3.

With the A3 I can custom order exterior paint color ($2500) and combine with any offered interior color ($900).

I can't imagine walking up to and sitting in a car everyday I hate to look at, no matter how well it drives.

My A3 will be Canyon Red with Beige premium leather, if VW fails me on color choises in the 5 dr..

uwhusky

Ready to race!
I posted a thread on this already and then came across this one.

What is the latest word people are hearing re: 5-door MK5?

I am contemplating an A3 based on my believe that the 5-door GTI won't be here (in the US) until September. I'm not sure I can wait that long.

However, I do believe the GTI is a little better looking, about $5k less than a similarly equipped A3 and an overall better value.

Still, if I could order one and have it here by maybe July - I'd do it!

Tricky

Autocross Newbie
Prost said:
1) I am planning to switch to euro switch for the extra light controls once I have the GTI, there are two kinds, one with auto feature and the other don't, which one should I get if all I want is to get extra light controls. Did the auto function work on the GTI even if it has no light sensor? Do I have to disable the DRL if I switch to either euro switch?

The auto function is very simple. When your car is on your lights are on. Car is off, lights are off. The Euroswitch I installed has it but I never use it. Good to know it's there tho in case I get really lazy someday.

azmcs

uwhusky said:
However, I do believe the GTI is a little better looking, about $5k less than a similarly equipped A3 and an overall better value.

Still, if I could order one and have it here by maybe July - I'd do it!

The A3 is about $5k more, but you need to add the price of the Xenons and the heated seats to that price to get comparable. True the A3 has the open sky system which is cool, but not for $5k!!!

cmdrfire

NorthGTI said:
I am still considering the A3 because of the very restrictive color selections in the GTI.

If the 5 dr. GTI can only be ordered with black interior (I am no longer 18 yrs old!) then I will order the A3.

With the A3 I can custom order exterior paint color ($2500) and combine with any offered interior color ($900).

I can't imagine walking up to and sitting in a car everyday I hate to look at, no matter how well it drives.

My A3 will be Canyon Red with Beige premium leather, if VW fails me on color choises in the 5 dr..

I take it that VWoA doesn't offer beige leather as an option then? Because Tornado Red w/ Beige interior would sound about right...

Buccaneer

Ready to race!
Tricky said:
The auto function is very simple. When your car is on your lights are on. Car is off, lights are off. The Euroswitch I installed has it but I never use it. Good to know it's there tho in case I get really lazy someday.

I freaked out one day when I started up the car and the reading light came on :cry: . Turns out I had forgotten to switch it off the night before - but thanks to the auto feature, I breathed a sigh of relief :thumbsup: . Didn't have this feature in my previous car, a Honda C-RV 2002 model :p

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
cmdrfire said:
I take it that VWoA doesn't offer beige leather as an option then? Because Tornado Red w/ Beige interior would sound about right...

nah...we don't get any of the nice package choices you gents get across the pond :bs:

bcaciopp

A smile every mile.
Prost said:
Hi,

I am planning to buy the MKV GTI 5 drs when it comes out later this year; I have several questions that hopefully someone can answer me:

2) I know the GTI come with HID standard, but does it come with the auto-leveling function (auto-level as up and down, not left and right)?

3) Can I order the GTI 5 drs now, or should I wait till it comes out?

5) Regarding the DSG, do I have to set the "stick" to the (+/-) side in order to use the paddle shift? What is the "off" function on the right side of the paddle?

6) last but now least, can I retrofit the power seats to the GTI like the European version?

Prost

I can answer 3) because I have put in my order for a candy white 5 door last week.

Also my experience with 5) i test drove a GLI with DSG and it behaved as a standard automatic unless I chose to paddle shift. I am not sure about the other modes; do some research there.

I prefer 6 speed manual anways :biggrin: