GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3 door is a pain

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
just seems like quite a hassle getting people in and out of the back. i suppose it could be worse in a polo or a fox.

the seats can be quite difficult to move forward and back, unless ur the owner who knows. also those big doors require a lot of force to close. 9 times out of 10 the passenger wont shut it properly and has to try again.

yeah its stylish and doesnt look too much of a family car. but if your patient and willing to spend a bit more, possibly consider waiting for the 5 door.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I wish I would have had the patience. Oh well...live and learn. I have even thought about trading mine in when the 5 door comes out but I am sure I would suffer a financial loss on that decision.

newtogolf

we could have had it worse! ive seen some 2 or 3 door cars that can be a nightmare getting into the back and it feels so squashed with 3 people.

because the golf isnt small, its very roomy getting into the back and 3 people are seated comfortably.

i just think that 5 door would have been the icing on the cake.

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree about the door being difficult to close. I have had two-door autos that were way more difficult, where you really had to give the door a good yank in order to shut it. Same goes for the seat being difficult to move in order to load passengers in the back, though I did notice that pushing the seat back seems to be a two-step process. I had two six footers in the back seat on friday and they had no complaints whatsoever about ingress and egress.

Sure, a 3 door is not as convenient as a 4 door--it's the nature of the beast. But 2 door styling beats 4 door anyday (my opinion, feel free to disagree)

GTI2007

I drive with a 3 door MK4 Golf and I have no problems with closing the door or with moving the seat front and back. I don't think there's that much difference in these matters between a MK4 and a MK5 Golf. To my opinion the 3 door version of the Golf looks so much better then the 5 door Golf like davis_grad said.

newtogolf

yeah the 2 step process of pushing the seat back is annoying. so easy to get the sequence wrong. gotta physically push the seat backwards, then pull hook right up and then seat folds back.

as ive said, for a 2 door car, the golf is roomy getting in and out.

the front doors do feel rather heavy and they do require a good slam, well thats my opinion anyway. i agree that on looks, the 3 door rules over the 5 door.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
newtogolf said:
yeah its stylish and doesnt look too much of a family car.

I am waiting for the 5 door and I think it is more "stylish" to boot. Four/5 door sports sedans almost always look better than the 2/3 door versions.

ColdPlayer

Passed Driver's Ed
herrstreet said:
Lol, I don't have kids and the 4 door looks like a minivan (think Opel Zafira or Renault Scenic) I know the 4 door is practical but I'm drivin!

If you really think that 5 door looks like a minivan.... than you'll be drivin' in minivan that has only 2 doors :biggrin:

GTI is certainly not one of the prettiest cars in the world to begin with, so it's a neck and neck to me. But after I saw it with my own eyes, I came to conclude that 5 door looks more stylish to me. You can smell the original "soul" of a Golf design in it (especially on the C-pillars). It looks balanced, and even looks longer and leaner.

And the back seat... don't you think it's too roomy to waste?

Last edited:

fletcher8969

Passed Driver's Ed
If I didn't have to worry about strapping my kids into car seats in the back I would probably just get the 2 door version right now. As is I've just ordered the 5 door that my dealer says will be available here in July. I do prefer the 5 door look actually but I'm not usually the type to wait when there is a new car I want.

h82bslo

Autocross Newbie
luckily for us we already have a subaru wagon. this allowed us to get the 3 door. in my opinion the 3 door just looks a lot better.

atomoverride

Ruler of Omicron Persei 8
just do what I plan on doing. my fast likes to keep things light.