GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf Replacement in 2008

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Great...so a guy who streamlined chrysler's crappy cars is now going to do the same to the Golf. Glad I already own mine. This is a stupid move....financialy it is understandable, but sounds like quality will suffer.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Jerome81 said:
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060329/FREE/60327016/1065

Will this likely result in an inferior car? Will items be cheapened to reduce production costs or will savings only come in more efficient (and maybe more reliable) manufacture?

And what about the R32? My guess is that with the GTI just arriving, VW might choose to totally skip bringing a new R32 to the US until after this change is made.

after reading this I get the feeling that the mk6 will be produced in a cost-cutting fashion, both in manufacturing techniques, and parts. Good news for MK5 owners, becuase it proves our cars were put together without these financial constraints. VW is trying to save money, and build more cars at the same time.... tough to do in my oppinion.

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
They are jsut trying to maintain profitability and catch up with Honda and Toyota, who both have far shorter vehicle life cycles and are far more profitable. So if they need to cut labor costs, who cares (except the unions, that is) higher labor costs per vehicle for VW have not translated into higher quality (ask consumer reports) and make VW uncompetitive. Will it make for a cheaper car? Lower build coast can translate in to higher quality, if done right--again, look at what Honda and Toyota do. I say go for it, VW.

AlEkZ

Ready to race!
I guess there's no point in getting a mk5 in '07 like I was planning since it will change to mk6 in '08. or will the mk6 only be in europe in '08?:confused: kinda got me confused there...any pictures on the mk6?:rolleyes:

GTI2007

I think that the replacement in 2008 is for the European Golf. If you count that the MK5 was released in Europe in September 2003 and the NA MK5 came in the beginning of 2006. So that would make the date for the NA MK6, if you encounter the same time difference as for the MK5, in the beginning of 2011.

AlEkZ

Ready to race!
GTI2007 said:
I think that the replacement in 2008 is for the European Golf. If you count that the MK5 was released in Europe in September 2003 and the NA MK5 came in the beginning of 2006. So that would make the date for the NA MK6, if you encounter the same time difference as for the MK5, in the beginning of 2011.

yeah, 2011 is what I was hoping for, but from that article it seems they would stop building them due to current costs, therefore I don't think it would make sense for them to still build them for the NA market only.:rolleyes:

did they stop production of the mk4 golf in europe or is it built in mexico? I ask since in Mexico they still sell the mk4 golf, no GTI or mk5 golf there yet. mk4 jetta is still sold in Mexico too, mk5 jetta is called Bora. I think its a little weird. :smoking: they also have a small suv...check out http://www.vw.com.mx

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
I think this is also a problem with the MINI and BMW. I know the 2007 MINIs are significantly changed, but they cheapened the suspension. Many are worried that while the interior quality of materials is up that the car won't drive as well.

Maybe its unfounded. But I know BMW said they were having a problem selling a car built like a BMW but being sold at the price of a MINI.

I think the difference is that the problems with expensive union labor in the US are now just showing up in Europe. and now they have to do the same thing.

Actually, if the car is simpler to put together, quality might actually increase....

GTI2007

AlEkZ said:
yeah, 2011 is what I was hoping for, but from that article it seems they would stop building them due to current costs, therefore I don't think it would make sense for them to still build them for the NA market only.:rolleyes:

did they stop production of the mk4 golf in europe or is it built in mexico? I ask since in Mexico they still sell the mk4 golf, no GTI or mk5 golf there yet. mk4 jetta is still sold in Mexico too, mk5 jetta is called Bora. I think its a little weird. :smoking: they also have a small suv...check out http://www.vw.com.mx

According to my knowledge the last Mk4 Golf that was build in Wolfsburg dated from December 2003 or January 2004

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
Is anyone else as bothered by this as I am?
While this article does not explicitly say that the '08 model will come to the US immediately, I have got to believe that it will, unless mkV production shifts out of Germany as was the case with mkIV, otherwise, we'll get whatever they're making in Germany when they start making it...

Basically this means that the '06s being sold now will only be two model years old and the '07s (including the 5 door that I was heavily leaning towards ordering) will be outdated after only a year! Yes, the current car is a great car and worth buying, but I have a major issue buying a car that will be replaced only one MY later, this is not good for my mental state or the residual value of the car.

Some say that the mkV GTI is the car to buy because the mkVI sounds like it might be lower quality due to profitability concerns. I have trouble believing that the company who was so hell bent on returning the GTI to its former stature, and would launch such an assault of an ad campaign for it, would ruin the mkVI so soon after they got things right on the mkV.

So basically, is anyone else feeling a little pissed at VW right now? I know I sure as hell am. :mad:

-M

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
UNCbigM said:
Is anyone else as bothered by this as I am?
While this article does not explicitly say that the '08 model will come to the US immediately, I have got to believe that it will, unless mkV production shifts out of Germany as was the case with mkIV, otherwise, we'll get whatever they're making in Germany when they start making it...

Basically this means that the '06s being sold now will only be two model years old and the '07s (including the 5 door that I was heavily leaning towards ordering) will be outdated after only a year! Yes, the current car is a great car and worth buying, but I have a major issue buying a car that will be replaced only one MY later, this is not good for my mental state or the residual value of the car.

Some say that the mkV GTI is the car to buy because the mkVI sounds like it might be lower quality due to profitability concerns. I have trouble believing that the company who was so hell bent on returning the GTI to its former stature, and would launch such an assault of an ad campaign for it, would ruin the mkVI so soon after they got things right on the mkV.

So basically, is anyone else feeling a little pissed at VW right now? I know I sure as hell am. :mad:

-M

Yes I feel a little upset, but at the same time do you think this also might have anything to do with the Euro vs. USD?

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
I don't know whether it has to do with the Euro v. Dollar, whatever the case, VW might have lost a customer in me at least... I look at it this way, we don't really have a way to tell whether the next GTI will be superior or inferior, so those of us that haven't bought yet can either risk it and wait, or buy one now that we know is good and end up eating the depreciation and drive a late model car in a year.

It reminds me of college basketball recruiting (DISCLAIMER: this might only make sense within my head, not on paper/screen): a coach goes out and recruits a solid point guard, the next year he recruits a top point guard who will obviously get the starting spot over the more senior ball player, thereby relegating him to a reserve position. Over-recruiting. It just plain sucks (think Duke and Coach K). Thats just what this feels like to me, VW is selling out the MKV buyers by recruiting over them by introducing the MKVI, which, in most scenarios being a new car with the freshest engineering, should be an improvement.

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
UNCbigM said:
VW is selling out the MKV buyers by recruiting over them by introducing the MKVI, which, in most scenarios being a new car with the freshest engineering, should be an improvement.

You serious....some of the best made/designed cars from the last 20/30yrs are still as strong today - look at the MX5, porchse etc etc. Enjoy the car in the present mr and let the future take care of itself. I for one am glad I went for the MKV as I have a feeling its gonna be up there with the MK1 in years to come.