GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A3 and GTI

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
RJS5689 said:
Does the A3 and the GTI share the same platform?

Yes. Not only the platform, but has the same wheelbase, suspension design (not settings), drivetrain, and many components. The A3 3.2q, of course, used the MkV R32 platform.

There are cases where the platform is the same, but the wheelbase is different, like the MkIV GTI and the Audi TT.

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Hmmm....I always thought the GTI/Jetta/Beetle/Golf were all one platform while the A3, A4, Passat were all on another.

Nice to know.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Jerome81 said:
Hmmm....I always thought the GTI/Jetta/Beetle/Golf were all one platform while the A3, A4, Passat were all on another.

So the A3 with a transverse engine and the A4 with a longitudinal engine can use the same chassis? No!

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
VW Golf V = Audi A3 = Seat Leon = Skoda whatevertheyrecallingit.

I went to an Audi dealer once to investigate a particular component and mentioned something along the lines of "An A3 is basically a Golf V" and nearly got thrown out - as it is I had to listen to a half hour long lecture on why the A3 is most distinctly not a mere Golf, sir, it's far more than that.

GTI2007

The A3 is maybe better in his interior styling quality then the Golf but I'm not a great fan of the exterior of the A3. I dig the look of the GTI so much more then that of the A3.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'd love to have an A3 exterior with a GTI interior...the seats, pedals, and steering wheel amyway.

GTI2007 said:
The A3 is maybe better in his interior styling quality then the Golf but I'm not a great fan of the exterior of the A3. I dig the look of the GTI so much more then that of the A3.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
the A3 exterior is nice...but in my opinion, it defeats the purpose to get an audi without quattro, and since you can only get quattro in a 3.2 vr6 with a dsg, that kinda sucks (since i refuse to drive automatic). as for the interior, it is small as hell, i drove one when they first arrived here last year and it is not nice at all, really cheap in my opinion. the gti on the other hand has a sweet interior.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
the DSG is not an Automatic!!!!!

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
but its not an automitic in the sense there is no tourge converter. it is beyond a true automatic.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
hehe, i understand where ur coming from, but to me a manual transmission has a FOOT OPERATED clutch
manual transmission: noun
Definition:"a motor-vehicle transmission system of interlocking gear wheels connected to a hand-operated gearshift and a foot-operated clutch":wink: