GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wrx Vs. Gti

Accel

Rally Car Champion
Azn_Esprit said:
Is it true the STi doesnt come with a stereo?

It does...

In the first year they were sold in the US they didnt have them, but they realized that most of the buyers wernt just useing them as pure track cars, so they put a (pretty crappy) sterio.

black2.0t

Drag Race Newbie
the 3rd cyl on the boxer engine over heats do to turbo location, low performance is noticed around 35k miles pending on how hard u run the car. for most that ran the car hard 4-6 times a week had this problem

destroyboredom

Autocross Newbie
I think part of the problem with people crashing the WRX is that it's AWD and people get over confident, more so than they would a FWD drive car, just because they equate AWD with superior handling (while that may be true it doesn't help when you hit a patch of gravel, etc..). Kind of like a-holes in there 4WD SUVs doing 60MPH in snow and ice.

But to the original poster. VWs may have there little quirks like the window regulators in the MKIVs but the WRX is known to have a weak tranny. Which would you rather have?

GTT said:
Let's be honest and fair here, the AWD system is not more dangerous. You said it yourself, it's the drivers. And, that goes for any car promoted as "fast" to a younger crowd.
The GTI fits that bill.

AWD and FWD are both known for understeer, which is actually considered safer especially for more inexperienced drivers. RWD is probably the most "dangerous", but that has a number of levels of meaning.

T

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
I have always felt that the wrx was a nice motor that went slumming in an imprezza. The gti is a nicely made, attractive car from just about every perspective. It might be down a few hp to the subaru but it's not enough to make up the difference in quality and utility in my book.

For sheer performance, the wrx is obviously a really nice cars. The cars don't crash though, the numnuts fast & furious wannabe's who drive them like the world is their personal autocross track are the ones who "crash." If you do that in a gti, you'll crash it too in all likelihood.

dvsdimsum

Go Kart Champion
herrstreet said:
I have always felt that the wrx was a nice motor that went slumming in an imprezza. The gti is a nicely made, attractive car from just about every perspective. It might be down a few hp to the subaru but it's not enough to make up the difference in quality and utility in my book.

For sheer performance, the wrx is obviously a really nice cars. The cars don't crash though, the numnuts fast & furious wannabe's who drive them like the world is their personal autocross track are the ones who "crash." If you do that in a gti, you'll crash it too in all likelihood.

i've seen your post on clubwrx, OP, and i responded there too.

in response to F&F fans, you best get something like a scion tC and mod the bajeezus out of it. As the saying goes, "you can always take a POS and make it go fast." Never forget the unecessary flame exhausts and stickers. :laugh:

WRX's are great cars, but lack the luxury-aspect of the GTI. Plus, thanks to its ricer appearance, it gets a lot of unwanted attention, and drivers tend to get carried away with it.

AWD>RWD>FD, but the driver can make or break that.

Given that, I've been looking at a WRX, RX8 and GTI. Each has its appeal and fanbase, and I have yet to be persuaded that whichever I end up with, I won't be happy.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
The week tranny issue is on the bug eyed wrx and has been dealt with on the newer models. I went on a road trip in an 05 WRX with my buddies for a weekend. It was a nice car but the ride comfort was crap and the turbo lag was not fun. We were up in the Lake of the Ozark area in Missouri and were on a lot of gravel roads. The WRX went through stuff most cars could not due to the AWD. I was amazed at what the car could take. I test drove the GTI the Monday after we came back...and drove it home Thursday. There was no comparison when it came to the fun factor with the GTI.
As for the guy who posted that AWD doesn't help braking...ask some rally drivers and techs, AWD actually helps braking. The AWD is also better when it comes to handling. Everything comes down to the driver behind the wheel. If they can't drive then they aren't gonna be any better no matter how good the car handles.
As for which manufacturer is more reliable...take care of your car and it will take care of you. I had a Honda Civic with 120,000 miles on it. I did all of the routine maintenance to the car and never had a problem. I plan to do the same with this car.

stillbreathing8

dear birds...
Car(s)
GTi
Hey thanks a lot everyone. I've decided to go with a gti mainly becuase the wrx is overpriced and the attention. Hopefully i can get my black magic within in the month :biggrin:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Azn_Esprit said:
Is it true the STi doesnt come with a stereo?

"Subaru, built inexpensive to stay that way."

dvsdimsum

Go Kart Champion
the_saint said:
I thought it was more along the lines for the Ford Mustang Cobra back in the 90s. It came with a spartan interior...no radio, no A/C, no unnecessary weight.
These things were supposed to be race cars out of the box.

the WRX is no joke, even stock. AWD, more torque than hp, and now a reduced turbo lag as well. the comforts leave a lot to be desired (ride is rough as hell, my bro owns one and loves it though). the stereo is pretty weak, but last i checked it did come with a decent a/c. the WRX is definitely lighter than a GTi, but then again, it's rally-inspired. for a car with such a background, it better be lighter.

4GSixty3

Drag Racing Champion
Having a rally-inspired car as a daily driver is the least u want when in peak hour traffic. Now the best part of my day is to commute in my GTI!!!

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The other thing you have to account for is, the idea that you can spend the extra 700 on the chip and install, to easily push more power than a stock WRX which the WRX can not as easily perform with a cheap mod, so if power is what your concerned about, WRX has no easy out options.

skater4145

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
has anyone whos saying this stuff ever owned a wrx?
i have, and some of you guys are definately not giving it the credit it deserves. ya i test drove the gti, and ya i would definately take the gti over my old wrx any day of the week, but seriously in no way is it built inexpensively. and it does have the ability to have the ecu reflashed just as easily as a gti, or bolt on a turbo back exhaust for 20-30whp gains...

dont dog the wrx just cause you like gti's better, i mean everyone has thier own opinion, and you cant expect anything less on a vw forum but still, come on lets be fair, its still a great car!

that being said, yes imho,

gti > wrx

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
skater4145, have you even driven a GTi? kind of odd a guy with a turbo honda pops up out of nowhere and gives his 2 cents on a VW forum....