GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock vs Aftermarket ??

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
So what are you going with for wheels? And why? Explain please.

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
Well, as i mentioned before, i am coming from a modified Mini Cooper S (205whp), with coilovers and a rear sway bar. The car was extremely fast for what it is and handled better than my current GTI, even at stock vs. stock comparison. I am pretty sure the GTI with some touches will be very competitive as far as the handling is concerned. So keeping that in mind, i am considering lightweight rim options and more than likely will go down to 17" rims with better tires. As you know choosing a tire is one of the best things to do in order to increase handling capabilities. So far 5x112 limits the options, and i am used to that from the MINI (4x100). Lately i have been eyeballing the OZ Ultraleggeras, they are built strong, and yet pretty light. Will not have any problems with a BBK clearence and will improve handling with a nice selection of tires. Secondly i have been looking at some Volk rims by Rays engineering, but i don't know, kinda Japanese Import territory, real nice light rims tho. Third, Neez makes real nice rims, but i don't think spending $1,000.00 per rim is very feasible at this time. I am more performance oriented than the looks, otherwise i would have swapped a set of 19" BBS CH and have a killer looking VW:biggrin: . Wish SSR made rims for our cars too:frown:

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
As per:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107

Inexpensive to buy and/or replace, lightweight, simple, and now black.

By the end of today they will be fianlly on the car, and i'll have pics soon too.

My reasoning is simple. Stock is stock and i'd rather be different. I am anti-bling and I like the black wheel look. KISS. The less I spend on wheels the more I can spend on other mods.

nomios

Touring Car Champion
scuderiavw said:
Well, as i mentioned before, i am coming from a modified Mini Cooper S (205whp). So far 5x112 limits the options, and i am used to that from the MINI (4x100)

I agree... the choices are not too great for the mkv. At least at the moment... I think TSW has a pretty good selection that will fit.

http://www.tsw.com/inventory/search.php

I have also seen some nice wheels on EU websites, but not all will ship to the US, and if they do, it is $$$.

I really like these wheels, but have run into a shipping issue.

http://cgi.ebay.de/19-Tettsut-Alufe...QitemZ8052145070QQcategoryZ9888QQcmdZViewItem

scuderiavw- I am coming from a modified Cooper S too. A little off topic, but I am curious about what mods you had to be running 205 HP at the wheels?

erick.s

Autocross Champion
This is what I'm leaning towards - 18x8 ET 40:

NYMK5

Passed Driver's Ed
nomios said:
scuderiavw- I am coming from a modified Cooper S too. A little off topic, but I am curious about what mods you had to be running 205 HP at the wheels?

Looks like I am in good company as I am also coming from a (unmodified:frown: ) MCS. :biggrin: I don't want to threadjack but it sounds like there are a few people out there that are all ex mini drivers. :headbang: Must be that european handling that they keep talking about.

My preference has always been performance but lately I have been finding more grey hairs and am tempted to leave it as stock... Except that those BBS CH do look very nice and remind me of the Ferrari 360 challenge stradalle wheels, always a positive in my book:thumbup:

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Not bad...do they come in 19"? Who sells them online?

EDIT - found them on TireRack...not bad. 19X8, 25.4lbs, $250 each. Only potential problem is that they are listed as ET35 for the 19".

erick.s said:
This is what I'm leaning towards - 18x8 ET 40:

erick.s

Autocross Champion
Yup - tirerack is where I saw them. I talked to Alex over there via email. The 18" is $219/wheel, but isn't available until May 15. It's not recommended by them as the offset at ET40 is a bit aggressive for the MKV, but I don't think there would be a fitment problem as I'm not going to slam the car. I'm going to go with the OEM Euro springs so the drop will be less than an inch.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Mmm... I've been stung on ebay a couple of times.

Choices shown so far look very nice!

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
I had 15% pulley, catback, headers, 380cc injectors, MTH software, CAI, ported head and a throttle body. Messed up the whole reliability of the car tho, always something was breaking or failing. But, was really quick.

scuderiavw- I am coming from a modified Cooper S too. A little off topic, but I am curious about what mods you had to be running 205 HP at the wheels?[/QUOTE]