GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wrx Vs. Gti

skater4145

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
ummm did you read my post???

skater4145 said:
ya i test drove the gti, and ya i would definately take the gti over my old wrx any day of the week

im here because i've never owned a vw before, and im seriously considering buying the mkV.

dvsdimsum

Go Kart Champion
skater4145 said:
has anyone whos saying this stuff ever owned a wrx?
i have, and some of you guys are definately not giving it the credit it deserves. ya i test drove the gti, and ya i would definately take the gti over my old wrx any day of the week, but seriously in no way is it built inexpensively. and it does have the ability to have the ecu reflashed just as easily as a gti, or bolt on a turbo back exhaust for 20-30whp gains...

dont dog the wrx just cause you like gti's better, i mean everyone has thier own opinion, and you cant expect anything less on a vw forum but still, come on lets be fair, its still a great car!

that being said, yes imho,

gti > wrx

like i said, my brother owns a '02 wrx. i've sat in it, and i've taken it for a little spin, but not much more. the car does live up to the hype of feeling "like you are driving on rails," and its a great car.

with that said, my bro has had more than his fair share of body damage. in return for the "lightness" of parts, the body has tons of dents and dings from doors, shopping carts, etc.. a mid-speed accident left him with a destroyed front, while the other guy walked away with a minor dent. as great as the wrx is in terms of driving, its build is still sub-par, imho.

as for modding chips and whatnot, wrx parts tend to be more expensive. i've looked into this only a little, but equal upgrades tend to be cheaper for the gti. also, the gti's engine is a bit more beefy and underrated than the wrx, hence the chip upgrade diff...

i'm certainly not dogging the wrx. should i live in a place that sees snow, a wrx will certainly climb to the top of my choices. but if i continue to live in sunny places, i'd rather have a fwd or rwd, just to drive the snot out of it.

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
I have to somewhat agree with skater myself. I've driven both. Yes, the WRX interior is nowhere near as nice (though the new Limited with leather & heated seats is shnazzy) but the mechanicals of the car are very very solid. I've owned my subaru for 3 1/2 years and it's required nothing more than inspection, regular oil changes and a pcv valve which was a $5 replacement and 5 min of work. They may be noisier, harsher ride and such, but they are by no means bad.

The new WRX's (Curb Weight: 3192 lbs.) arent all that much lighter than the GTI anymore. As far as the typical "glass tranny" perception on the subaru's, it's all in how you treat the car. Mine has 88k miles on it and it's still the original clutch and transmission, and it's still not slipping yet.

Now obviously I will choose the GTI over the WRX, that's what I intend to purchase next month. The WRX is nice, but for me the GTI is more what I'm looking for.

The biggest complaint out of anyone that owns a WRX seems to be the lower quality paint job.

4GSixty3

Drag Racing Champion
it will cost around the same amt of $$ for both cars (wrx and gti) to put ~230whp, say around $1500, but to achieve 300whp i m pretty sure the WRX will cost less for now. We still have to wait till the 2.0T FSI have more aftermarket support before we can really compete at the 300whp area.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Subarus can eat a skeet. If you think AWD is safer, it's not. It's how you drive the car. AWD might give you some advantages but it is still up to you. As far as reliability, that all depends on how you take car of your automobile.

black2.0t

Drag Race Newbie
THE END

WindWalker

Older Than Dirt
Car(s)
2008 R32
VW Reliability...

Well I am an older tuner, 61 and have owned 7 VW's. Just picked up my 06 Black Magic GTI and traded in a 99 VR6 GTI GLX with 155,000 miles and not a single major problem. I drive my cars hard and fast I have never had major problems with any of the seven VW's. I have also owned an assortment of American iron with major issues that makes me wonder why I ever even considered them.

I give you credit for asking VW owners their experience. I will also tell you that you will tire of the WRX. It just doesn't have the ride and staying power of the GTI as a daily driver. I have had the opportunity to spend a lot of time in a WRX/STI and it is not a comfortable place to be. The GTI is a much better balance of performance and comfort. And if you have any appreciation for fit and finish quality the Subie pales in comparison.

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
Well the crashing with the Subaru's come from being little light for the AWD. So people can't make them turns as fast. Also, we should keep in mind that there is only two best all wheel drive car makers in the world and that is the inventor of all wheel drive cars -Audi, and Subaru. So I wouldn't think there is a flaw on the AWD system in Subarus its got to be the driver. As for comparing them both, i think the GTI wins in all aspects excpet HP.

black2.0t

Drag Race Newbie
THE END

dennykrane

Autocross Champion
Azn_Esprit said:
Is it true the STi doesnt come with a stereo?

i think it was in 04 that it was an option. 05 it became standard.
as for the whoel debate over the wrx/gti. it is the dirvers pref. one of my friends will only by a subie, he loves them. i have a thing for the vw. he wants awd, i want a hot hatch. forget reliability, you ca always get a lemon, just get the car that fits you. you'll be happy in the end. :thumbup:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I am surprised this is still open. The two cars are in different classes. I have driven both cars extensively and the GTI is a more comfortable ride. The WRX can handle like its on rails. The GTI is FWD the WRX is AWD. One is German the other Japanese. The one is........WHO CARES!!!!!! If the concern is which one is better...it is up to you. Someone please close this thread.

Shifty

Pull it shave it paint it
Car(s)
2002 TDI New Beetle
Accel said:
As a side note, unless driven correctly, AWD cars IMO are more dangerous then fwd, if only for the fact that a lot of WRX or AWD owners in general think that they are invincable, the only advantage AWD cars have is for acceleration, no braking help, no acual help in turning, only acceleration.

Case-in-point: My buddy's old Legacy. He thought he was crash-proof. Light rain got him on a straight road. :rolleyes:

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
I'd expect favouritism for the GTI in a GTI forum but I have to agree with those sticking up the for WRX that its not the crap car that you guys make it out to be. I own a GTI so its not like I dont know what its like, now I haven't owned a WRX but the WRX scene in Australia is huge.

To say that its expensive to get 300hp from a WRX couldnt be further from the truth. I find Euro aftermarket parts are alot more expensive than Japanese parts and the WRX is extremely responsive to simple mods like a turbo-back exhaust and intake.

I chose the GTI over the WRX because of the luxury/comfort that the GTI has to offer, I was over the raw and all out power type of car. I've already had a Nissan that did that, and it was easy to squeeze power out of that motor without paying a huge price on modifications. That and insurance premiums for the WRX thanks to its popularity with street racers, ram raiders and car jackers put me off the WRX, not to mention that the styling isn't my type of thing. If I wanted a car for all out power at a minimal price then I'd stick to turbo Japanese imports eg. WRX/Silvia/Skyline/Supra/Evo.

So basically, the WRX and GTI are totally different cars!

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
It almost laughable that some people think FWD is more safe than AWD. Of course there is no accounting for the driver, but if both are driven with the same level of care, AWD is better. Try driving both in snow and tell me which is safer. And posting pictures of someone's wrecked car means nothing when comparing the two technologies. Nothing is idiot-proof.