GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gas Mileage on a Manual GTI...

GTI689

Oval Champion
I recently took purchase to a new 2006 volkswagen gti in black with manual transmition, and ive noticed that ive been getting about 17-18 mpg city. I drive usualy in the city.. speed limits range from 30 to 45 and most of the time i shift at low rpms but im still getting sucky mpg. Keep in mind i live in Florida where it is 80+ degrees every day could this be the cause? i am new at stick, am i doing somthing wrong? do i need to be doing somthing to increase my mpg? What are you other stick shift GTI's averaging? please help
-Amier

Last edited:

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
If you're doing real city driving (stopped at a lot of lights, sitting in traffic for extended periods) then you're probably right where you should be. I get the same. I can get mid-20s in the 'burbs and about 30 highway.
As far as shifting goes, as long as you're not revving it up and slipping the clutch a lot, your relative inexperience probably isn't hurting your mpg. Just stay light on the gas pedal, shift around 2.5k, and coast as much as possible. Not much more to it.

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
VW claims 23 mpg in the city so you're not way off; EPA numbers are usually inflated, anyway :rolleyes: But, considering the fact that you probably have your A/C blasting all the time, 18 mpg is about right. On a brighter note, you might notice your gas mileage increasing over time as the engine breaks in.

By the way, if you're going by the on-board computer's reading of 18 mpg, keep in mind that it's close BUT not 100% accurate. If you really think you're going to the pump too often, there might be an issue. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a GTI, not a Toyota Prius.. ENJOY IT!

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Need to let the rings seat in! Once the motor breaks in you'll be close the the EPA #'s

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
You are fine. I'm getting 20 combined right now with 500 miles on the motor, strict freeway I get around 26-27. You have to break the motor in before you can expect anywhere close to EPA mileage estimates. And if you have a lead foot expect less.

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
One other thing, if you want to be the EPA gas mileage champ, you have to learn to accelerate VERY smoothly. I found that my last vehicle ('05 Subaru outback) got 17-19 in the city, but I could get 21-22 if I really laid off the accelerator pedal.

Of course, in a GTI that would be a waste, sort of like Pavarotti singing at a Karaoke bar . . .

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
yea im not far from you, i live in miami fl and i get 18mpg in the city too. i always have the a/c on cause its too damn hot down here so that lowers my mpg a bit too. but i was worried also that my mpg were low. i guess they're not

4GSixty3

Drag Racing Champion
just finished my first tank of gas, i got 382miles out of it, i average 29.2 mpg. 50/50 city/hwy.

Last edited:

Tourangti

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I get about 29mpg with mostly motorway driving (thats a freeway btw to most of you) and the car has been chipped for most of its life so not too bad really.

Oh and we use petrol not gas in the UK :wink: Gas is the stuff we run our household heating on:biggrin:

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
when i drive city its not gridlock and stop an go but i can muster out 26-27mpg. its all about cruising in 6th gear with the accelerator being lightly touched. also when you are stopping dont shift to neutral until you get close to 1000 rpm. That cruising uses zero gas, wheras in neutral it is being used.

And I live in AZ. SUr eit will be worse in summer then now but its always warm here

4GSixty3

Drag Racing Champion
gas = gasoline, petro= petroleum. aren't they the same thing? its just different name for the same product.

black2.0t

Drag Race Newbie
in the GTI about 22-25 half city half highway, the celica gt-s 28-30 thats taking it to its 9000 rpm limit twice week

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
hoping to get 350 miles from a full tank (55 litres). the test is still in progress. im on about 250 miles so far and this is just below a full tank.

Hopefully get about 29mpg if all goes to plan. and this is local driving. typically drive each gear to about 2500 - 3000 revs.

revaudi

Oval Newbie
4400 miles, had the car 45 days. Averaging 27.6mpg. I drive aggressively and lots of highway at 80+mph. I am very happy with the average.

davooch

Passed Driver's Ed
Mileage

I have about 1600 miles and I get about 19 mpg doing 95% city driving in stop and go traffic. I hope it gets better as it breaks in. I had a Celica that got 25 to 26 so compared to that, 19 sucks.