GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Using a floor jack and jackstand placement

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,

Just bought an 06 GTI and I am currently preparing the car for some competition events (autox and and hillclimbs). As I am using race rubber, I need to change my tires at the events, so lots of jacking up and down. I would like to use my hydraulic floor jack, only one problem -- the jacking points on the GTI are rather odd in shape, and do not provide a flat spot for a normal jack. Take a look at the factory jack and you will see what I mean -- it is a sort of a "j" shaped profile that fits are welded body seam.

So, are where are you folks placing your floor jack on the GTI?

Also, where are you placing jackstands for working under the car.

Thanks,
DJM

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
Kurupt-MK5 said:
i saw a post reciently where this guy had his jacked up i will try and find that link for you
**EDIT**
i found it here is the link http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1227

Cool...thanks for the link. I wonder if those aluminium blocks are strong enough to take the weight of the car? Still, looks like the best place for the fronts. Now I just need jackstand that will fit the shape of those Al blocks!

Cheers,
DJM

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
i am sure u can find one if not just make one that sits on top of ur jack out of a 2x4 or something

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
djm1968 said:
I would like to use my hydraulic floor jack, only one problem -- the jacking points on the GTI are rather odd in shape, and do not provide a flat spot for a normal jack.

Best to make an adapter plate for the jack lift plate that fits the factory jack point.

Or, as in the MkIV, use the lift points just inboard of the factory jack points (inside the vertical seam). Here best to use a soft protection pad on the jack plate to limit the damage to the car's underside coating

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
NorthGTI said:
Best to make an adapter plate for the jack lift plate that fits the factory jack point.

Or, as in the MkIV, use the lift points just inboard of the factory jack points (inside the vertical seam). Here best to use a soft protection pad on the jack plate to limit the damage to the car's underside coating

I will have to take a look again, but I did not see much space behind the factor seam for to use as a jack pad. I will take a look.

Thanks,
DJM

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
djm1968 said:
I will have to take a look again, but I did not see much space behind the factor seam for to use as a jack pad. I will take a look.

It may be narrower than the head of the jack. Will need a special shaped plate for the jack.

Tutti57

Ready to race!

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M

Elwood

3-7-77
After destroying a widow-maker and finally getting a floor jack, I bought these:

It can be a pain to to position a jack stand when you use them, but you get used to coming in from the side with the jack.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
After destroying a widow-maker and finally getting a floor jack, I bought these:

It can be a pain to to position a jack stand when you use them, but you get used to coming in from the side with the jack.

If you look at those links in my post above, there are discussions on those pads.
There are posts from those who have damaged their floor pans using those points.

In all the documentaiton I have seen from VW (shop manual, owners manaul)
there is no indication that VW recommends those lifting points, and
the pads are not available from VW parts.
Those install in the assembly line cradle points,
during assembly those points never support the weight of a finished car,
and are always contacted at all four points at the same time.
They do not appear to be a wise choice as single lifting point as you would have to do with a floor jack.
Probably ok for a four point lift, I would be leery of them with a floor jack.

Elwood

3-7-77
Probably ok for a four point lift, I would be leery of them with a floor jack.

Noted and all valid points. I have been using them for five years without any problems. Nothing creaks, nothing moves when jacking there. I don't know how anyone could ever damage their car jacking there, but anything is possible.

BTW, the pads may not be available from VW parts, but they have VW part numbers on them.

Tutti57

Ready to race!
Those are pretty sweet. I've been using a hockey puck for about a year now and it's been great.