GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket stereo

Acoustic81

In-Tune
I have a Pioneer 7700 headunit that I picked up for my Mk4 with a VW wiring harness attached. I pulled it out of the car when I traded for my Mk5. To put it in the new system (Package 1), do i have to work around the factory amp or can I just plug straight in with the wiring harness like I did with the old car? Plus, is there any chance of the factory Sirius tuner working with the new stereo? :help:

timber29

Passed Driver's Ed
Acoustic81 said:
I have a Pioneer 7700 headunit that I picked up for my Mk4 with a VW wiring harness attached. I pulled it out of the car when I traded for my Mk5. To put it in the new system (Package 1), do i have to work around the factory amp or can I just plug straight in with the wiring harness like I did with the old car? Plus, is there any chance of the factory Sirius tuner working with the new stereo? :help:

There is no factory amp in the GTI. No the Sirius tuner probably wont work with your aftermarket H/U especially if it is not Sirius tuner capable even if it was you have to wire it in. If you are planning on sot using the Sirius unit you can sell it to me :biggrin:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
The sat units are built into the radios. As mentioned before there is not a factory amp in the GTI and the wire harness is differant than in the MK4 and older VW cars.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
If you have a factory amp it is located under the driver seat I believe.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Uh carefull.....some of those wires are for the airbags maybe. I was wrong about the Sat tuners. They are under the passenger seat.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
loccusst said:
If you have a factory amp it is located under the driver seat I believe.
We don't get XM or the sirius stuff in the UK so the 'box' i have seen under what would be your drivers seat must be an amp. looks like one to me and as i have only seen it on the soundpack speced cars it makes sence thats what it is.

As has been said the wiring between mk4 and mk5 is totally different the mk5 is a CANBUS based system. There are wiring adaptors out there. From most leading makes.

givenuponsociety

Autocross Newbie
Acoustic81 said:
haha - you'll hear on the news: "Today, a man swerved off the road and hit some school children. Accoding to him, his airbags unexpectedly deployed when he pushed the "Satellite" button on his stereo"...

hahahaha, that's hilarious.....oh boy.:clap: :bellyroll: :clap: :bellyroll: :clap:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
That is sweet!!! We joke about stuff like that all the time at work.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
As my other half works at the TRW airbag factory making the control units i get to here about all the hickups and recalls due to problems.
That jokes not far from the truth.