GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I really want this specific GTI

sammo

Go Kart Champion
So...

White GTI, with PKG1 and 18" wheels...

I went and test drove today and I *really* like it. The problem is, they don't have the one I want and they'd have to get it ordered. They have one on the way, but they said "it will probably sell before it gets here in two weeks".

I don't want to buy that fast, but she mentioned the price at $26,800 or so and obviously thats sticker or whatever. Yes, lots of people want the car, but how can I get it for a fair price?

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I doubt it will be sold before it gets here. Actually, your choice is very popular.

I think you need to ask them to search around. There's bound to be one just like your specifications.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
sammo said:
So...

White GTI, with PKG1 and 18" wheels...

I went and test drove today and I *really* like it. The problem is, they don't have the one I want and they'd have to get it ordered. They have one on the way, but they said "it will probably sell before it gets here in two weeks".

I don't want to buy that fast, but she mentioned the price at $26,800 or so and obviously thats sticker or whatever. Yes, lots of people want the car, but how can I get it for a fair price?

If you're in a hurry to buy it, you have to pay the price. The only way to get it at a fair price is to talk to more than one dealer and be willing to wait until the end of the month. You should be able to buy it at around invoice price.

BTW, once you agree on the price, the dealer will be able to locate the vehicle you want from another dealer and do a trade. If you're working with a good dealer, they won't charge you for it. It's included in the destination charge. If you're stuck with a bunch of assholes, they'll make up a "location fee" and slap it on. The less desperate you are for the car, the more bargaining leverage you'll have.

sammo

Go Kart Champion
ewoo said:
If you're in a hurry to buy it, you have to pay the price. The only way to get it at a fair price is to talk to more than one dealer and be willing to wait until the end of the month. You should be able to buy it at around invoice price.

BTW, once you agree on the price, the dealer will be able to locate the vehicle you want from another dealer and do a trade. If you're working with a good dealer, they won't charge you for it. It's included in the destination charge. If you're stuck with a bunch of assholes, they'll make up a "location fee" and slap it on. The less desperate you are for the car, the more bargaining leverage you'll have.

I want one, but I guess I don't want to get ripped off. I"m going to go to each of the four dealerships here in Minneapolis and try to get a better price and then try to use it against the dealers... what should I expect, since it doesn't sound like I can get invoice+3%?

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I worked with 15 dealerships which boiled down to 2 fighting over my business. They will get you the car you want especially if they are trying to meet quota at the end of the month/quarter.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
the two dealerships I cross shopped were 1500 appart between my trade and the price paid. Take your business elsewhere if you want, or just tell them you are willing to pay an honest price with a small profit for them. If they aren't cool with it - walk. white is a pretty common color and dealers hunt cars down. They got mine that way.