GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Add heated seats to the NA Interlagos seats

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Anyone think this is possible? Buy the switches for the dash and the heating elements for the seats? Im really considering in doing this mod. I live in Miami and I loved the heated seats in the Passat. Great for when the back hurts.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I already have aftermarket heating elements from my old seats that I plan on putting in. Just buy aftermarket. Maybe the oem switches will work, not sure. BNut for what you want to do you may have an issue if the factory wirring is no where to be found in the car already. Then you would have to run new wires and know what pin does what on the factory switches. Just a thought. Maybe go to the VW dealer and see if they have the switches in stock, ask to take a look at it. See how many pins are on it. One should be power to the switch and the a pin for power to the seat. Other than that it depends on the switch....maybe a ground or a pin for illumination of the switch. I am gonna have to do some more research into this now.

deadhead

Ready to race!
I keep reading that the 2007 MkV Golf will have heated seats standard, regardless of the upholstery. If that is so, I'm hoping they'll extend that to include the GTI.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Living in Minnesota I had heated seats in my previous A4 which had leather seats. I rarely used them. I have the interlagos now and the cloth never really gets cold enough to require them to be heated, so I can't imagine why you would need them in Miami. Besides this I can't imagine the heat can be that healthy for your nuts. Just my " 2 cents", haha.

black2.0t

Drag Race Newbie
MHS216 said:
Living in Minnesota I had heated seats in my previous A4 which had leather seats. I rarely used them. I have the interlagos now and the cloth never really gets cold enough to require them to be heated, so I can't imagine why you would need them in Miami. Besides this I can't imagine the heat can be that healthy for your nuts. Just my " 2 cents", haha.
:laughabove:

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
quailallstar said:
Anyone think this is possible? Buy the switches for the dash and the heating elements for the seats? Im really considering in doing this mod. I live in Miami and I loved the heated seats in the Passat. Great for when the back hurts.

I imagine the seats will likely be destroyed putting the elements in. Or at least will never again be to the appearance quality as original. I would suggest not doing it.

baat06

Drag Racing Champion
There are blanks (replaced with switches in the pgk 1 jetta)... should be possible. Not sure about the rest of the items (wiring/harness/etc).

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
NorthGTI said:
I imagine the seats will likely be destroyed putting the elements in. Or at least will never again be to the appearance quality as original. I would suggest not doing it.
The seats will be fine. The elements are supper thin and you don't even know they are there. I had them in my racing seats in my previouse car. As long as the elements are from a good company like the one mine are from you are fine. Mine are actually the same company that VW and BMW use.

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Up here in the great white north the GTI comes with the heated seats. You might want to check a canadian dealer (or god forbid a wrecker already) and see how much the switch pannel is. The stereo up here is the in dash 6 cd changer and I don't think we get the climatronic.

I spent last week in NC and it was quite warm (26c, sorry don't know F) and the heated seats were a blessing for my aching back. I probably wouldn't have ordered them as an option, but I am quite happy to have them.

Good Luck!

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
loccusst said:
The seats will be fine. The elements are supper thin and you don't even know they are there. I had them in my racing seats in my previouse car. As long as the elements are from a good company like the one mine are from you are fine. Mine are actually the same company that VW and BMW use.

I think you missed my point. The damage will be in getting the elements into the seats, not the elements themselves.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Not really. The seats covering comes off rather easy if you know what you are doing. I am not saying this is for everyone to just go out and start ripping your car apart. This is part of what I do for a living so for me it is fairly simple. I already checked the seats out. After it is done I will post up some pics.....probably wont be untill Friday though.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
bump

white rabbit

My best mod is a car wash
Heating comes standard with Interlagos in Canada. I know a automotive upholestry shop that can put them in any seat, but I don't think they can use the factory switch unless you order all VW OEM parts.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
You could probably figure out a way to use the factory switches....or you could just locate the switches elsewhere. I still plan on doing this when the wife doesn't have other plans like last time. I ended up putting a fence up instead. AAHHH the price for her letting me get this car.

baat06

Drag Racing Champion
loccusst said:
You could probably figure out a way to use the factory switches....or you could just locate the switches elsewhere. I still plan on doing this when the wife doesn't have other plans like last time. I ended up putting a fence up instead. AAHHH the price for her letting me get this car.

I feel your pain... swingset, fence and roof are all in the project queue here. :frown:
I'll just have to make mods when she isn't home.:biggrin:

I found a thread a while ago that talked about the necessary components. I'll try to dig it up.