GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Red or white?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
The last car we had that was Red was a '95 Jetta GLX in FLASH Red.... I buffed my buns off on that sucker every summer in my shop. We had white enamel floors in my detail shop and after I buffed the paint out there was a Red ring on the ground all around the car.

My '83 GTI is the Royal Red, but always sits after it's $3,000 paint job.

We have a '98.5 Audi in Casablanca White that has been easy to maintain and light scratches aren't as visible. Our White Denali is easy as well.

Red looks nice, but I'm having a hard time and just know that the wife won't take care of it when she drives it.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
White white white!!!!!!!! I've had two white cars int he past along with black, dark gray, red, tan, yellow... and the honest truth is that my two white cars were the EASIEST ones to keep clean.

I love my white gti, i still wouldnt have picked a different color. Don't get me wrong, I like the other colors as well... just not at much as the white. Everyone who sees my car agrees that white was the choice they would have made. (probably because its the color thats in all the commercials tho)

Anyhow, lets us know what you decide

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
commuter said:
I Googled "Tornado Red" and, according to owners, it appears that this color had significant problems in the past. :frown:

However a Nov. 2005 Q&A article in "What Car" suggests that this is no longer an issue.
http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report.aspx?NA=217545&EL=3143814

Comments?

Q: I want to buy a new Golf GTI in Tornado red, but a friend has told me this colour fades quickly. Is this true and what colour should I go for?
Tony Westgarth

A: It’s true that the VW colour Tornado red did have a reputation for fading prematurely due to oxidation caused by the formula of the paint used. Audi and Seat also used the same colour, as all three brands are part of the same company.

However, the composition of the paint has been changed and a clear top-coat of lacquer applied to stop colour fade. You shouldn’t have a problem with a new VW Golf supplied in this colour.

The Golf GTI is available in 16 colours, including Tornado red, which is not an additional cost option. If you stick to the standard colours of red, black and blue, you shouldn’t suffer any resale problems. The GTI is one of the few cars that can be ordered in white, without it having a huge impact on residual values when it’s time to sell.

Last edited:

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Wild Hare said:
White looks killer and is so easy to take care of. Red on the other hand is constant buffing,waxing, maintaining (almost as bad as black).Thoughts?

White is for kitchen appliances and underwear. Not for cars. IMO

Not sure of your experiance with red. I always choose red (or tropic orange), and find them very low maintenance. The key is to not scratch the surface with any color. Never touch the surface with dirt on it. Never touch the surface dry. Always high pressure pre-spray the car before a hand wash. Never use a sponge or mit, only freshly washed towels. High pressure spray the car once a week or more between hand washing. Avoid hand washing as much as posible-that where the scratches come from.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
kirk180 said:
Do you guys really think white isn't a PITA to keep clean? My ex gf had a white car and I couldn't stand trying to get all the bugs and wheel well debris off that thing. Wasn't my car so I'd even use Bug and Tar remover on it (I did say ex right?). .
everyone i know who i have spoken to that has a white GTI says the same. The cars design seems to attract muck especially this time of year and the white is a PITA as it shows it so much.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
snoopy said:
everyone i know who i have spoken to that has a white GTI says the same. The cars design seems to attract muck especially this time of year and the white is a PITA as it shows it so much.

hmmm, my white is no PITA - thats for sure.. everything comes off with a regular high pressure spray at the local car wash. It is actually easier than all the cars ive owned in the past. Maybe has to do to the nice clearcoat...? It seems like dirt/dust/road film or what have you doesnt stick to the paint.

anyhow, I recommend white - and from personal experience on my very own candy white gti theyre easy to keep clean

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Auf Wiedersehen! said:
Golf GTI in Tornado red, but a friend has told me this colour fades quickly. Is this true and what colour should I go for? /QUOTE]

I have has both Audi and VWs in non-metallic red. Trust me, they don't fade. I usually own a car 4 to 7 years (waiting for VW AG to come up with something new I want) and never have fading in that time. And that is without waxing more than once, maybe twice a year.

Reds from the 50s, 60s, and maybe 70's faded, but not modern cars.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
My FLASH Red GLX faded! :eek:(