GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MORE ABOUT TICKING...

pinkfl2511

DUB Lover since '01
Car(s)
1999 BMW 328i
If you hear it in the car, it could be from the way they piped the engine sound into the cabin also.

:burnrubber:

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
I had forgotten about this and checked underneath mine today. There is a double hard plastic spacer/holder fitted to the pipes as well as a rubber sheath around the pipes where it comes close to the chassis. There is also a hard wire wire hook holding the pipes at tension away from the chassis. My golf was an 01 build so guess its already in hand.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
It's sounds like a DIESEL engine. I'm beginning to think it's just the way these FSI engines sound.

Finally, the speaker of wisdom. This engine is not 70's, 80's or even 90's technology. This is the 21st century and VW is in the lead with engine design.

I would imagine it was not even a major concern at VW Engineering to make sure the engine was dead silent at idle, particularly if not heard inside the car.

It's an engine. It makes noise. It's OK.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
People seem to forget that there are hundreds of explosions happening every minute under the hood of their cars. Throw in a bunch of moving parts and you should expect some noise. I worry about some of the little noises I hear, but unless they get worse or the car starts having problems, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape about them.

FlyinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
My engine makes a ticking noise when running at idle. The only time I can hear it is with the hood open. I've got 3000 miles on the car and everything has been great, so I haven't given the noise much thought at all. Since the car runs smoothly I consider this normal engine noise for this particular engine.