GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing the noise-adder from GTI

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
no boost is wasted pumping sound into the cabin LMAO!!!!! The sound is from the Intake. I think is sounds good. Also the size of the chamber is not that relavant to boost pressure. If it was on the boost side performance wouldnt change with either pipe. Unless you would count the wasted boost going into the cabin for sound LMAOLMAOLMAO

plac

GTI Master
It is on the boost side. Go to that Vortex thread if you want a huge discussion on that.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
So what is the good about replacing the pipe? Eliminating the noise in the cabin? I never really noticed any noise in the cabin from the motor to begin with. I wonder what VW would say about getting rid of it?

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
This noise maker pipe IS on the intake side of the engine, but it is ALSO after the turbo, which makes it a pressurized part. Boost IS wasted by having to take the time to fill this volume to make sound(simple physics).

The sound is kinda intake'ish at high rpms.

For those who care the removal of this noisemaker pipe MIGHT(unconfirmed) improve boost RESPONSE, not actual boost figures.

Chris from PD Performance has built some seriously fast VW's, he has extensive knowledge of all things VAG turbo and has several custom built 400+hp 1.8t engines under his belt. And while I don't always agree with his manner of arguement, I do trust his knowledge and experience. You guys can trash talk him all you want, I don't care, and i'm sure he doesn't either, but I do think you should know that he does know of what he speaks. He's been working on 2.0t's for alot longer than any of us has had our mk5's.

If you want the sound, keep it in.

If you take it off, don't expect to win any races because of it's removal. It's simply not critical to overall performance.

plac

GTI Master
just my write up after trying this new pipe.

Overview:
Well..... Unless someone is really obsessed, it prob isnt worth the trouble. No, i dont have boost logs and charts, I dont feel the need to get that level of information for my own decision. So from just a normal driving point of view..

Noise:
Some noise is gone. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what is gone. There is still some intake noise, but the exhaust is now hearable in the high rpms to 6k+, where before I swapped the pipes, all you really hear is front roar. The exhaust doesn't sound quite as good to me now that I can hear it fully. I think the very nice tone in this car is attributed to both the intake noise tube combined with the exhaust. They go well together to produce a sharp crisp tone. It just didnt sound as good to me with this noise-less pipe.

Power:
The power is fairly impossible to quantify from just a driving perspective. That means its very hard to tell. I dont think the car "felt" any faster. I dont have a gauge to see if the boost climbed to spec .5 seconds faster either.

Conclusion:
I will be putting the GTI pipe back in for now. I didn't see enough benefits to taking it out, and I definetely lost some tone which I enjoyed. Since I saw no increased/sooner power availability or spool up, there is no reason for me to keep the A3 pipe in. (I dont plan to sell it, I may change my mind someday again..)

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
Well, we don't have those "sound amplifier" for Japanese spec GTI, and Jetta GLI. I assume there will be no trouble by taking off these pipes.

The above pic is Japanese GTI, below one is US spec. You can see the extra pipe on the left side of lower pic. That is "sound amplifier" which we never know how it effects emotionally on our driving. Wish we could afford the pipes here... (no stock spec vehicle in Japan, no parts available)

Attachments

• ENG comparison.jpg
    ENG comparison.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,481

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I could see this as something to do if you have mods done maybe???

MachSchnell

Rally Car Champion
plac said:
Cuz the car sounds killer stock to me. Which is great for people that enjoy an OEM car without messing with it.

X2 :thumbsup:

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
plac said:
Well..... Unless someone is really obsessed, it prob isnt worth the trouble.

Agreed.

I'm putting an exhaust in next, so noisemaker or not, it's not a big deal if you really think about it.

plac

GTI Master
just my write up after trying this new pipe.

Conclusion:
I will be putting the GTI pipe back in for now. I didn't see enough benefits to taking it out, and I definetely lost some tone which I enjoyed. Since I saw no increased/sooner power availability or spool up, there is no reason for me to keep the A3 pipe in.

Glad I have my own previous experience to go back on while I think about the changes I will make to my 2008.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
My question is how much does the entire noise assembly weigh? 5 lbs?

I'd like to just take out 5-10 lbs for something that does absolutely nothing but sounds like a kazoo. Makes absolutely no sense to me.