GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speedometer = off?

trevor

Southeast Forum Dictator
Car(s)
Subaru WRX STI
I went to the track Wednesday to see what I could do in the 1/4. As I passed the traps, I noticed my speedo was ~100mph. I was so excited, thinking I had a factory freak, but to my dismay I only trapped 92.7. I ran today, again, and the same thing happened except this time my trap was only 90.7. A fellow GTI driver (McPsycho_V) was at the track tonight as well and noticed the same thing as me. What gives, and has anyone else noticed this? :iono:

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I was at 80 on the freeway today and it felt no where as close.

What was your 1/4 time? any mods?

trevor

Southeast Forum Dictator
Car(s)
Subaru WRX STI
aznkukuboi said:
I was at 80 on the freeway today and it felt no where as close.

What was your 1/4 time? any mods?

Completely showroom stock.

Best time:
60' - 2.307
1/8 - 9.76 @ 72.34mph
1/4 - 15.207 @ 92.78mph

DSG

naughtyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
06 DSG
speedo accuracy

I tested my speedo with my GPS unit and found my speedo to be only a few mph off which was no different than my Infiniti. I have not had a chance to test at speeds over 60ish yet but so far I have found the problem, not so much.

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
i was on the highway last night with my friend in his rsx type-s and both of our speedometers were reading the same. however, when i was at the track i looked down to see how fast i was going and it was reading just over a 100 as i crossed the line but then i get my slip and its says 93mph. WTF!!!!

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
there is heaps of talk about them being of on the vortex site.

i think its a good thing keeps your license longer dont it.

a 15.2 stock with a 2.3 60ft that is good.

SSS_Hoon

dmclone

Oval Champion
Yes, there are speedo problems and the faster you go the worse it gets. When your speedo says 90 you're going about 82.

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
Mine is fine o_0. I didn't have any GPS tests or anything like that, but I was going 70 on teh highway, and called up my friend who was driving behind me going the same speed. I asked "how fast are you going, exactly?" and he said 70.

Accel

Rally Car Champion
Its not a "problem" and it really only rears its head over 90mph... which realistically, you shouldnt be driving unless your on a track.

This has been discussed extensivley, both here, and on vortex. The standards for speedo accuracy in Germany are stricter then they are here, as far as indicating that you are going slower then you acually are, the car companys therefor push the reading the other direction to make sure they dont get introuble, but IIRC then only have 10% to work with in the direction ours are off, and an indicated 100mph and acuall speed being 92 or 93, its well within that limit.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
yea...better to be off in that direction than if it was saying you were doing 70 and really doing 78...then get hit by a po po.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
It doesn't just happen at 90 or over. It starts at 40 and increases in inacuracy as you spped up. Going 64 and thinking you are going 70 is not cool. If you slow down even a few mph when you see a cop then you are going well under the speed limit and can now be pulled over as well on the highway. I generally set my speed with my GPS when I see a cop. I shouldn't have to do this.

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
Accel said:
Its not a "problem" and it really only rears its head over 90mph... which realistically, you shouldnt be driving unless your on a track.
Wrong

loccusst said:
It doesn't just happen at 90 or over. It starts at 40 and increases in inacuracy as you spped up. Going 64 and thinking you are going 70 is not cool. If you slow down even a few mph when you see a cop then you are going well under the speed limit and can now be pulled over as well on the highway. I generally set my speed with my GPS when I see a cop. I shouldn't have to do this.

Loccusst is correct, however I was under the impression that the difference was significant until you were about 60, I do beleive that there is an inaccuracy of 10% leaving 70 to be 63, 80 to be 72, and so on, however if you trapped 93 at the track, these numbers may be a little off. There is supposed to be a fix to the problem, however it has not been released if there actually "will" be or if that is just vw's way of making unhappy customers shut up.