GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Racing Tales

Should GolfMkV.com disallow street racing threads?

• Yes

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 54 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scotaku

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I'm an out of the closet road racer and I've done a little autocross here and there. I don't jump up and down on the street racing story threads because that's not me. However, I've requested the administration here take an early and decisive position regarding such tales as they tend to encourage exaggerated and generally unhealthy driving. Rice this. Muscle that. I beat such and so. Vote yes if you'd like this community, your community to actively discourage posting such immature topics. The difference is beating a Vette out of turn 10, safely, opposed to breaking the laws and putting others at risk beating him to the next light.

bilbos

On the Kop
I agree with you on this one Scotaku.

Whilst we have all probably indulged in this activity at some point in our lives, I don't think there is any need to actively "boast" about it.
It is a dangerous undertaking and at worse could ultimately lead to the loss of life.
Remember also that this is a public forum and it is therefore not unexpected if members of the police force read the postings of various forum members. I have known on other forums of action taken in regards to similar threads on speeding on the highway. So be warned.

KaynE

I don't think they should be allowed because half the time it's an over-exaggeration.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Ahhh, it adds to the drama. I've never personally added one, but once in a while you will have a true tale.....why would you want to omit that? Not to mention the whole freedom of speech thingy. Please don't start regulating petty things that don't really matter. If you don't like it then don't read it. Let alone post about it. I actually could care less, but I'm a strong advocate of allowing others to speak their minds. Who's the mod here? Pres G Bush. J/K about the Bush thing, but come on fellas.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
kirk180 said:
Ahhh, it adds to the drama. I've never personally added one, but once in a while you will have a true tale.....why would you want to omit that? Not to mention the whole freedom of speech thingy. Please don't start regulating petty things that don't really matter. If you don't like it then don't read it. Let alone post about it. I actually could care less, but I'm a strong advocate of allowing others to speak their minds. Who's the mod here? Pres G Bush. J/K about the Bush thing, but come on fellas.

im gonna have to agree with Kirk here....ive been thinking about how i felt about this thread since it was posted...and being a long time auto racing fan and being a street racer and seeing the good things and bad things about street racing...i have to say sometime u just want to gloat about the things u have accomplished in your car

granted sometimes things get alittle heated and out of hand...but u gotta step back and take a breath and realize its just a forum and its not affecting u directly

ive had 2 friends die from street racing in the same month...that was one of the worse times in my life...but even still....i sometimes catch myself sitting at a stop light with some dude next to me thinking he is badass and needs a little point proven to him

its a forum people...just let everyone talk about what they want...lets not try and force others morals and values on others

Scotaku

There are no morals or political agendas being forced here, but nice try with the whole Free Speech argument. Hopefully you understand just what that means. Hint: it's not a guaratee to let you say what you want no matter what, but that's a completely different debate. If you had friends die street racing, I'm having a hard time beliving you're not banging the pulpit to keep people from bragging about it.

No, what's at stake here is glamourizing antics that do and will continue to kill. Thankfully those stories are not the norm, but gloating about how one broke the law to "prove a point" to some other driver has no place, anywhere. Just because you have a right to speak freely does not guarantee that what you speak of has any value. We've got an opportunity to take this young community to another level by asserting that we as a group of drivers of a particular make and model, we won't drive like that, nor will we encourage and give safe harbor to peopole who do... even if they drive cars like ours.

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
Ya like all you track racers never stretch the truth about your storys!! Give me a break. This car is a DRIVERS car not a race car. People drive them on the streets. If people choose to race here and there if the traffic is clear or on an open stretch of highway, thats there choice. Ive seen bystanders at race tracks get killed befor. Just as on the street. If your smart about what your doing and respect other drivers on the road, Its not a problem. Oh yeah I almost forgot , any of you DSG yuppys want to race for cash let me know.

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
One of my favorite websites is www.svtperformance.com because they allow racing stories. I like the forum so much because of it. It is also interesting to hear of what our cars can do against the competition.

If you say that by posting these stories it encourages, that is :bs: . People will still do it no matter if they post it online or just tell their friends at G2Gs. Every time I go to one of my local VDub G2Gs we always swap stories of recent "kills."

So let everyone post and :burnrubber:

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
Scotaku said:
If you had friends die street racing, I'm having a hard time beliving you're not banging the pulpit to keep people from bragging about it.

u wanna know why i dont preach about street racing anymore?...cuz u can talk about not doing it until u are blue in the face...but 90% of the time people are going to make up their own minds about what they want to do with thier car...thats the good and bad thing about being an individual and having to make our own choices

plus just cuz i had friends die street racing...ive also had friends die on motorcycles...ive had family members die from heart attacks...does that mean im going to preach to people about not riding bikes and not eating at Burger King?...i mean seriously if u are going on about street racing u might as well take up the fight to get rid of everything in this life that could affect us in a negitive way

the point is....no matter if u dont want it here on this forum...people can go to another forum where they can talk about their tales of street racing...so why not let them do it here and if there is a post about it...dont read it if u dont feel like its adding to the community

im not trying to be an ass but u are acting like this forum should be run as a dictatorship and that wont bring this young community together any more than talking about street racing

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
Its illegal, dangerous and should not be posted here is my opinion. We do though have a choice as to which boards we subscribe to and I would like to think that most boards are democratic when it comes to content. So if this forum decides to allow it then for those of us who disagree we can always post elsewhere.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Scotaku said:
There are no morals or political agendas being forced here, but nice try with the whole Free Speech argument. If you had friends die street racing, I'm having a hard time beliving you're not banging the pulpit to keep people from bragging about it..
I couldn't comment on all of it, but yea it does sound like your trying to force your belief system onto others. These race posting people aren't forcing you to believe their stories so don't force them to abide by yours. As for the friend dying thing, I understand that too. I was with a roommate/best friend when he was killed on his motorcycle and I quit riding it for a few years. But as of late I just keeping buying faster and faster bikes. Until my brother just dumped this one in November and got life flighted to a Cleveland hospital. After a few months, he's ok. But you know what, I still want to get my bike fixed and run it like I stole it. You can't stop doing things just because someone else dies doing it. Life is full of risk. One of them being you might catch the occasional BS race story on this forum....so be it! When in doubt, read my sig below this line and think of what it means to you. Perhaps that is what says it best. What is it that's really bothering you to make you decide that you need to act out on a forum because people talk of racing. Majority of the people here bought this car for its capabilities. Look at the approach VWoA used to sell the car here in the states. You know the whole "fast" thingy. So we should just be like "shhhh....don't talk about it". Are you getting older, because I am too and perhaps then I'll understand why you're doing this. Still, read below.

Last edited:

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
i really haven't seen much of that here, and generally feel most members wouldn't fabricate such stories for the sake of "looking cool." We all know what this car is capable of doing, or not doing and I feel anything except for explicitly offensive content should be allowed.

:headbang:

Scotaku

Why limit explicit content then? Ahem.

Here's hoping you street racers get what you deserve. Jail time.