GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vinyl or Paint

JonnyDoe69

Drag Race Newbie
I have a White GTi and was thinking of painting the hood to continue the lines from the front grill. I have seen this done on other white/red gti's and think it looks awesome. Is it vinyl or paint? I'd rather do an exterior car vinyl... Something like this -> white-gti-11.jpg

Any thoughts?

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
I'd go with painting it. Vinyl is relly only good for small areas, a big section like that I think painting it would look much better.

But I have seen some good vinyl jobs, it just depends on who does it, time spent, etc.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
well u need to consider a couple things...first if u do do vinyl and your car sits outside in the hot sun for a long time...u might get a slight fade in the hood...but vinyl would be cheaper

painting will cost more...but it will look alot better than a sticker...but u will more than like have to replace the hood when u want to sell the car...so there are down falls to the paint

me personally i would do the paint and make sure when u goto sell the car u have a spare hood for the car

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
vinly would be cheaper, would look worse and would have o be redone in time. that big in that color and you will see the quality degrade hugely over time.

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
I say paint it. My dealership had a silver GTI with vinyl on the hood and it looks really bad.

IMO the best option would be painted CF :cool:

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
in my opinnion you should PAINT it. I say this because anybody who would take the time to research such a mod really cares about appearance, and vinyl just won't make you happy.

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
I think you are doing in black so go for the paint, the vinyl will look very bad after a few months, or start with that vinyl, and if you like it paint, that is a more secute way to go.

JonnyDoe69

Drag Race Newbie
Well I'd like to research both sides. Yes the vinyl might fade, but I might figure out that I don't like it after a few months which would be good cause I didn't make it permanent. Anybody know how much Vinyl costs? Where I could get it? I could pretty much use any paint shop for my hood more or less, but Vinyl is a little harder to find. Any suggestions?

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
JonnyDoe69 said:
Well I'd like to research both sides. Yes the vinyl might fade, but I might figure out that I don't like it after a few months which would be good cause I didn't make it permanent. Anybody know how much Vinyl costs? Where I could get it? I could pretty much use any paint shop for my hood more or less, but Vinyl is a little harder to find. Any suggestions?

When you peel the vinyl off, don't expect the paint to match 100%. Sun, debris, rain, carwashes, etc. take a toll on the cars paint and the paint/clearcoat beneath the vinyl will be untouched to all that.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
JonnyDoe69 said:

you will stop liking the vinyl after a few months because it will look crappy. The paint will hold up and shine like the rest of the car, and will give you a happy feeling in your belly.