GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock 2.0 boost?

Corleone

Go Kart Newbie
Hi guys,

I´ve seen some replies about this subject, but I´m not satisfied with the answers :biggrin: Here are some questions:

1) What are the real advantages of using a Autometer (or other gauge brand)? Besides the turbo pressure, of course...

2) The gauge instalation in our GTI is difficult?

3) Does anyone has this gauge already installed? What´s the boost peak in a kickdown for instance?

4) It seems that we have some disagreement about the boost peak. How much is it? About 1,0 bar?

Thanks for all replies

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Well...

1.) It is cool to watch on an unmoded car. Good to know what is going on with modded. Helps to stay out of big boost till car warms up on both.
2.)Not super dificult if you have the right tools. About a 6 out of 10.
3.) I have a cobalt AutoMeter boost gauge installed. Boost peak on a kickdown is the same as if you all out floor it. About 1 bar.
4.)About 1 bar.

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
Corleone said:
Hi guys,

I´ve seen some replies about this subject, but I´m not satisfied with the answers :biggrin: Here are some questions:

1) What are the real advantages of using a Autometer (or other gauge brand)? Besides the turbo pressure, of course...

2) The gauge instalation in our GTI is difficult?

3) Does anyone has this gauge already installed? What´s the boost peak in a kickdown for instance?

4) It seems that we have some disagreement about the boost peak. How much is it? About 1,0 bar?

Thanks for all replies

Hi Corleone,

1) You can monitor condition of your engine by adding guages. If you chip, I suggest you adding boost guage, oil pressure, and coolant temperature. (you can monitor coolant temp by A/C control hidden feature). Now I'm looking for a mothod how to attach oil pressure sensor.

2) I had Defi boost guage installed, not so difficult. You need some attachment though. I posted the attachment here;
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853

3) ECU controls turbo lag very well. Could be 0.05 or 0.1bar.

4) Around 1.05-1.1bar is the maximum (stock chip with cat back exhaust). It spikes for a while on slow speed with high gear, but it stays 0.5-0.8bar after speeding.

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
/feels enlightened

where can you get the attachment required for the boost gague installation? and what is it called? o_O

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
nomad said:
/feels enlightened

where can you get the attachment required for the boost gague installation? and what is it called? o_O

The attachment is not sold as a kit. I made it by myself. You need 12mm(0.47inch) inner diameter to take vaccum, and 6 clamps. Atmosphere inside changes negative and positive often, I suggest you to use a hose with hard material. Also, there is not enough space to fit in, try to set the attachment as short as you can.

-Outer diameter 12mm(0.47inch) T joint x1
-Inner diameter 12mm(0.47inch) hose x Max10cm(about 4inch), cut into pieces
-Proper inner diameter hose for boost sensor x1
(length depends where you place a sensor)
*My boost sensor requires 6mm outer diameter hose, so I used air tool connector to convert 12mm to 6mm.
-Suitable diameter for hose clamp x6

Have a nice boost!

Corleone

Go Kart Newbie
Hi daigo,

i) Could you take some photos to see how is the gauge mounted right now? I would like to figure out where did you place it...

ii) Does your GTI gauge has some retrolight? I mean...if you´re driving at night, does that gauge has some light so you can read it easily?

iii) Did you consider other products like Autometer before purchasing that one? What made you choose the Autometer?

Thanks for your replies and attention. :wink:

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
Corleone said:
Hi daigo,

i) Could you take some photos to see how is the gauge mounted right now? I would like to figure out where did you place it...

ii) Does your GTI gauge has some retrolight? I mean...if you´re driving at night, does that gauge has some light so you can read it easily?

iii) Did you consider other products like Autometer before purchasing that one? What made you choose the Autometer?

Thanks for your replies and attention. :wink:

i) Here's another link for boost guage... posted some pics. Pls read.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853

ii) Yes my guage do have a light. But its green background with red pointer. I'll try to change into blue LED if I had time. I'll post you a lighted picture when I get home.

iii) This meter was the one I had from previous Passat. The reason why I choose Autometer is, its easy to wire thru interior since you don't need a hose to pull inside. And also it has easy extension feature, if you want to add another pod, just plug-in extra sensor and pod into centre/hub unit.

Corleone

Go Kart Newbie
Hi daigo,

Thanks for the link.

I was impressed with the photos and I liked very much this outfit:

In your opinion, what are the disadvantages of installing this? I think that it goes pretty well in our cars...Do you have any idea of costs for this?

Regards

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
Corleone said:
Hi daigo,

Thanks for the link.

I was impressed with the photos and I liked very much this outfit:

In your opinion, what are the disadvantages of installing this? I think that it goes pretty well in our cars...Do you have any idea of costs for this?

Regards

That's not my installation. I hope you understood.
Well about the pic above(not mine), if I tried exactly the same, I have to re-route the whole air outlet because my GTI have air vent here.

Corleone

Go Kart Newbie
Hi daigo,

I understood that it wasn´t yours.:wink:
If your GTI has air vent there, so mine will have too! I believe that our GTI´s are similar. (Mine is from Sep/2005)

I liked a lot this assembly because it has three gauges, and two of them look pretty important for me: oil temperature and boost pressure. I didn´t realize that this was mounted in a air vent location...It looks really good, but will make other components work bad...:frown:

So, your solution appears to be much reasonable and well adapted for our intents...

Regards

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
air/fuel ratio gauge is important too to see if your car is running lean (which can lead to engine detonation). Not sure how accurate those things are though.

GTI2007

Corleone said:
Hi daigo,

If your GTI has air vent there, so mine will have too! I believe that our GTI´s are similar. (Mine is from Sep/2005)

I liked a lot this assembly because it has three gauges, and two of them look pretty important for me: oil temperature and boost pressure. I didn´t realize that this was mounted in a air vent location...It looks really good, but will make other components work bad...:frown:

So, your solution appears to be much reasonable and well adapted for our intents...

Regards

That right gauge ain't for the oil temperature but for the oil pressure. The oil temperature gauge is standard in the GTI and sits next to the gauge of the fuel indicator between the speedo and the rpm-gauge in the dashboard.

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
Corleone said:
Hi daigo,

Regards

Here's boost gauge night view...wish there were blue illumination. :frown:
I thought coolant temp gauge was next to the fuel gauge.
You can see oil temp by A/C hidden feature.

Attachments

• 画像 013.jpg
    画像 013.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 178