GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speedometer = off?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I heard they were working on a fix. It is like a ten percent off as you increase speed it gets worse.

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
ive driven alot of different cars at the track and i can tell you that most if not all cars have inaccurate readings beyond 90mph. i never even look at the speed it shows when i pass the trap cause i know its always going to be off.

trevor

Southeast Forum Dictator
Car(s)
Subaru WRX STI
blackmkv said:
ive driven alot of different cars at the track and i can tell you that most if not all cars have inaccurate readings beyond 90mph. i never even look at the speed it shows when i pass the trap cause i know its always going to be off.

Well with my subaru, I passed the traps at 110 or so on the speedo and the timeslip said 107. That being said, I would expect my German engineered car as if not more accurate as my econobox japanese import :wink:

dmclone

Oval Champion
stillbreathing8 said:
All speedometers on cars are off by about 5-10 mph in most cases. Speed trap or GPS is your best best

Sorry, but you're wrong. I've had 15+ cars and this is the first to be off by this much. Usually it's a couple mph at most.

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
discussed to death in other forums.

Do us all a favor--when you go in for your 5000 mile oil change, complain about it--Squeaky wheel and all that . . .

Big Jerm

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2006 GTI
i was on the interstate (night time) and I was next to a 06 civic coupe. The new civic's have the digital speedo! When I was next to it they were going 70 and my GTI said I was doing 80. This was before I started counting all the problems with this crumy car. The tapping noise on the fire wall of what you guys are saying its the fuel line tapping against the fire wall when ideling. this sounds real safe. the stereo volume goes up and down on its own...yes I have adjusted my settings and even turned sound dep. off...still does it. I am also out of my car as we speak and in this shitty ass rental car while the VW techs figure out why my check engine light is bipolar!!? the sunroof sounds like crap when open (my civic didnt do this) and the windows up...maybe i just want the sunroof open and the windows up. has anyone tried to tap out thier needle? i tried it on the interstate and after the speedo "says" your over 130 the nose of the car starts to shift left to right with a hard sway. the dynmaics of the car is not friendly of air over 100mph ish. my subbie would cut through the air like a plane, I had my STi at 155 cutting through air. my mind went blank but I have so many more complaints with this car.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I had my car at what the spedo said was about 120-125 and the car handled pretty well. You can't compare the handling of a STI to this car. The STI is in a higher performance class. The drag coeficiant on the GTI is .32... same as the McLaren F1. The STi has sooo many things designed into the car to keep it stuck to the road. The GTI is designed to just have fun zipping around corners and ripping through city streets. It is not designed from the factory to be a highspeed rally car. Not trying to piss you off, I just think you are holding the GTI up to a supierior car with the STI.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
Big Jerm said:
has anyone tried to tap out thier needle? i tried it on the interstate and after the speedo "says" your over 130 the nose of the car starts to shift left to right with a hard sway. the dynmaics of the car is not friendly of air over 100mph ish. my subbie would cut through the air like a plane, I had my STi at 155 cutting through air. my mind went blank but I have so many more complaints with this car.

First, this is a car designed for use on German autobahns. I've had it to about 125 indicated and it was rock solid. No vibration, no sway, nothing. Then again, you can't drive that fast on US highways, so what is your point?

If it has been such a bad car, look into your local lemon laws or sell it and buy a Civic.

P.S. Stop brutalizing the English language.

Big Jerm

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Teknophreak said:
P.S. Stop brutalizing the English language.
How am I doing this?
The nose of the car sways at high highway speeds, it maybe the wheels. doubt it. Has nothing to do with what I have drove in the past. By the way there are places you can drive fast in the u.s.

Sinjin

Rally Car Newbie
For all those claiming 10% error with the speedo, what size wheels do you have on your GTI? I think i remember reading that the error was higher with the 18's.

I have 17s and when I am at 80 i am doing 75 on my GPS.