GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cold Starting

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
When i had my GTI during the winter, i always noticed when i started it on nice cold mornings it took alittle more effort to start, and didnt sound as "healthy" if you know what i mean, anyone else notice this? and why?

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
lolol, 10.5 to one is the same compression our 540i had, and it started lol, hehe... w/e as long as it starts, i was just wondering if i was the only one, lemme call helga next winter :-D

conflicted

Go Kart Newbie
i think it has something to do iwht the fact that it is a Fi inline four my mom has 2 slk's one is a 99 230 inline supercharged four cylender and the other is a new 350 v6 the inline four one on a cold morning has a noticeable diffrence in teh cold were as the 6 cylender is find cold or worm its all good. but this is based off MB not VW

Delboy

Oval Newbie
I think you'll find it's to do with the FSi injection being a direct injection system, which has to over come high pressure from compressed gases. Unlike other systems that injects into the inlet manifold, the FSi injects directly into the cylinder.
This means the fuel pressure in the injector rail is much higher and requires the fuel pump to deliver from a standstill.

TheGr8Scuda

Go Kart Newbie
RJS5689 said:
When i had my GTI during the winter, i always noticed when i started it on nice cold mornings it took alittle more effort to start, and didnt sound as "healthy" if you know what i mean, anyone else notice this? and why?

You know what, I've been experiencing the same thing. I was begining to worry. It was starting to sound like my 97 Sable that I had before Beast :wub:. That car had 114,000 mile on it though.

Delboy

Oval Newbie
smp85 said:
they = all u.s. gas stations

do they have different petrol blends for summer/winter in the UK?

No they don't, same stuff all year round, and I have to say since having my GTi it's always been winter (cold) so am wondering if things might change when/if things warm up over here.
Out of interest what are the differences in the fuels, when they change from summer- winter?

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
Delboy said:
No they don't, same stuff all year round, and I have to say since having my GTi it's always been winter (cold) so am wondering if things might change when/if things warm up over here.
Out of interest what are the differences in the fuels, when they change from summer- winter?

it all has to do with the temperature at which vaporization will occur whether colder or warmer, which could be the reason why some people are having issues. this page explains the winter/summer blend quite well if you ask me...

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=101556

Delboy

Oval Newbie
smp85 said:
it all has to do with the temperature at which vaporization will occur whether colder or warmer, which could be the reason why some people are having issues. this page explains the winter/summer blend quite well if you ask me...

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=101556

Good article, however I think it's more relevant to carburetted engines rather than injection, as injectors vaporise fuel far better and don't rely on ambient temperature.