GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front grill options

z3speed4me

Go Kart Champion
anything to worry about with them open? will this actually help with cooling anything, like intercooler later on obviously but stock would it help? like why wouldnt they be open from the factory anyway??

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
z3speed4me said:
anything to worry about with them open? will this actually help with cooling anything, like intercooler later on obviously but stock would it help? like why wouldnt they be open from the factory anyway??

Supposedly they were meant to help cooling with the DSG for warm climates (which is where they were originally fitted) but when VW found it had little effect (if any) they started replacing all of the open surrounds with closed ones. The Euro 2005-spec cars had three holes open right along at the bottom, and the 2006+ spec cars (including NA cars, right?) have no holes open at all.

Now it is mostly for the aggression/looks factor as GTI2007 says :evil:

GTT

Touring Car Champion
GTI2007 said:
I don't think so. If you look on http://www.fischermotorsport.de/VW/VW-Golf-5/GTI-0.311.html you will find the open ones for 29,99 €

That's 30 each?
So, it's 60? The person selling the cut ones wants 80 or 90?

Also, I wonder what US discounted parts cost will be?

My point is, your car comes with the stock part. Thus, the cost of getting a precut set may not be that unreasonable when you consider that you can put the stock untouched ones back in for resale. I don't like destroying or permanantly modding a stock part due to resale.
A lot of used shoppers get leary with a car that's too modded.

TT

GTI2007

no, it's 29,99 € per pair. That means a right and a left one. The guy who sells those completely open ones asks 89 € for his pair of competely open air vents. So if I can count it you have 3 pair of the partly open ones for 1 pair of those completely open. To my opinion I wouldn't buy those completely open ones but buy the partly open ones and make them like the completely open ones. Saves you almost 60 €

Last edited:

GTT

Touring Car Champion
GTI2007 said:
no, it's 29,99 € per pair. That means a right and a left one. The guy who sells those completely open ones asks 89 € for his pair of competely open air vents. So if I can count it you have 3 pair of the partly open ones for 1 pair of those completely open. To my opinion I wouldn't buy those completely open ones but buy the partly open ones and make them like the completely open ones. Saves you almost 60 €

If the cost of those parts is low in the US as well, you bet I'll be doing my own mod with the the new or original parts.

Plus, I want to do a "metallic" finish to them, brushed aluminum. So, it may cost me a few sets to get it right. :wink:

If someone makes a front end real metal set though, I may opt for that. Nothing like the real thing.

TT

GTI2007

If you know someone who works with computer operated machines you could import the look of those plastic air vents into it and lets make some air vents out of aluminium or stainless steel and then you would have the true metallic finish

daytontp

Ready to race!
Is there a functional (not cosmestic) advantage to having them open or closed? Is there a reason why the Euro side grille would be partially open and the US one would be completely closed?

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Is there a functional (not cosmestic) advantage to having them open or closed? Is there a reason why the Euro side grille would be partially open and the US one would be completely closed?

Some early-model DSG GTIs had the open vent (particularly in hot climates), to allow cooling for the DSG unit. Since then all GTIs (even in EU and hot climates) come with closed vents to improve aerodynamics somewhat. There is no real need for open vents, other than to provide some slight additional cooling for front brakes etc.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

conom06d

Flying circles around VWs
Car(s)
3 wheels and wings
I think they look awsome bur the bumper behind it need to be painted black except on BMP