GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Left-Foot Breaking

Nevada Smith

Passed Driver's Ed
So it seems like it is impossible in the new MKV GTI.

Comments?

Is it a mechnical impossibility to modify the GTI to tolerate this driving style?

If it can be done what would be the price range for this modification?

believe it or not, but there are advantages of left foot braking,
that being said... no i dont know how to disable it, sry.

i think there must be a way... in the "first drive" the driver was explaining how the pedal position is set up for heel toe driving (with the hinged gas pedal)
while i know those are different (heel toe vs left foot) both involve pressing that brake at the same time as the gas. if vw set their pedals up like this and some random guy commented on it then it must be possible :) right?

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
The brakes are too picky. I can't figure out how much to press down.
I wouldn't do any left foot braking until the brakes wear out a bit more for me.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
aznkukuboi said:
The brakes are too picky. I can't figure out how much to press down. I wouldn't do any left foot braking until the brakes wear out a bit more for me.

Not sure what you mean. The brakes only respond to the pressure you apply (except in a panic stop, where brake assist kicks in)

The brakes will not change in responce until the pads wear down to the metal backing-at least 3 to 4 years for most folks.

There will be no short term change in the brake responce.

However, you will start learning how to use them properly very soon, I hope.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I have a feeling a few of these people have no idea what you're talking about. I do, I just don't know the answer...sorry.:thumbsup:

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
Im finding it difficult to heel-toe because of the positioning of the accelerator pedal? I just find that it sits too low compared to the brakes or am I just doing it wrong?

Nurendra

Autocross Champion
Nevada Smith said:
So it seems like it is impossible in the new MKV GTI.

Comments?

Is it a mechnical impossibility to modify the GTI to tolerate this driving style?

If it can be done what would be the price range for this modification?

It is impossible mechanically as your throttle system is drive by wire. Thus if you try braking while still on the gas, the system defaults to braking.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
It is actually a safety feature. Many people hit both the gas and the brakes in a panic stop. The system senses this and cuts power to the engine. I've found that you can still apply short bursts of braking while still maintaining power if you want to kick the rear end out a little.

MichaelM

Ready to race!
Are we talking about two or three pedals!? :confused:

You should normally hit clutch and brake as hard as you can for a panic stop.

Therefore, left foot is only for clutch and right foot has to be either on brake OR on gas. But that's only our normal German way as we do not have much automatic cars with two pedals only.

I don't see the advantage in left-foot braking... sorry :confused:

white rabbit

My best mod is a car wash
I race cars (not bragging) and with today trick transmissions and drive by wire throttle setups, left foot braking is the way to go.

It's great for less done time between moving your feet from pedal to pedal. 1/100ths of a second count on the race track

It's great for being able to balance the car under load situations. I mean to use 2 pedals at once.

With dsg and no clutching required, I'd left foot brake all day long. I haven't driven a dsg on track yet, but I have driven many of a BMW smg transmission.

Both pedals at the same time still work to a certain extent. Just don't count on matting both at the same time. I'm pretty sure the car is smart enough to default to brake in that case. There are too many dumies out there.

2 thumbs up for those experienced enought to left foot brake.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
everytime i attempt to do the left foot brake driving i almost give myself whiplash whenever i first apply the brake.. my left foot was still in the clutch pedal mode and really liked to shove on pedals quickly.

im sure someone else has had this problem!

the left foot eventually adjusts, but i suppose im never in the environment of using left foot braking all the time, when just the right foot would do. maybe if i took up racing.. :iono:

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
sublyme said:
Im finding it difficult to heel-toe because of the positioning of the accelerator pedal? I just find that it sits too low compared to the brakes or am I just doing it wrong?

I agree. It would be easier if the brake pedal was just a tad further back.

Tricky

Autocross Newbie
I've done it a few times to I am having a bit of a problem with it. It's not the pressure that I'm having a rough time with it's the spacing between the petals. The first time I tried it (just to see if I could do it in this car), my left foot also pressed on top of my right foot which means I hit the gas a bit harder and had to stop everything so I wouldn't wind up in a fence.

Really something I need to work on because once you get it down it is really fun to do.