GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What tires did you 17's come with?

PurpleHayze

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
when i bought my gti last friday i noticed that two out of the 10 they had on the lot had Bridgestone re050 w rated summer tires. most had the continental sport a/s.. i was just wondering because i havent seen an option package for summer tires and they VW didnt really have a clear answer except "some of them come like that".
anyways i had them swap over my contis to the bridgestones. i already have a set of snows so why not go for the better summer tire.
anybody?:iono:

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
bridgestones as far as i know are summer tires and are being rcalled by the dealerships so u can replace them with the crappy contisportcontact from Continental (all seasons)

alf

erick.s

Autocross Champion
I got a call from VWOA about the tires. They told me I can have the dealership swap out the tires at no charge for the Contis up until May 30. After that, the swap offer will be withdrawn.

Lellobeetle

Go Kart Newbie
Why are they being recalled? I got the crappy Contis and I've been doing research on exactly what I'm going to replace them with. Leaning heavily toward the Michelin PS2s

erick.s

Autocross Champion
They aren't being recalled. Basically, VW put a lot of these Bridgestone tires on cars that were supposed to come with all-seasons from the factory. The window stickers say all season but the car actually came with summer tires so VW is swapping them out if people want them to.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
RE050's, and i'm keeping them.

bilbos

On the Kop
Mine came with the conti's and were quoted as summer tires. If I am reading this post correctly, are the conti's actually the all-season tires?

erick.s

Autocross Champion
Yes, Contis are the all season option on these cars.

bilbos

On the Kop
Ah......I see. Are the conti's any good though? I have always bought Goodyear and Michelin in the past so don't know what to expect, especially in terms of wear.

PurpleHayze

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
part of my agreement of buying the car was that they put the bridgestones on it...... if that gives you an idea of how good the conti all seasons are..
continental makes some good tires though, that just isnt one of them.

Bridgestone however makes some of the best tires with the re050 being some where between good and great....then again to be honest im partial. bridgestone/firestone is my parent company.

My advice would be to keep the bridgestones if you have them, or at least beat the shit out of them until may 30 then get some free contis.:biggrin:

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
alf said:
bridgestones as far as i know are summer tires and are being rcalled by the dealerships so u can replace them with the crappy contisportcontact from Continental (all seasons)

alf
the contosportcontacts arent all season though... im trying to figur eout which all seasons it is that VW gives u

DriveFast

Ready to race!
Just called my local dealer and they said that there is no "swap program" if you have the RE050's. Maybe they're wrong. Is there anything official or has anybody actually swapped their RE050's for all seasons?

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
Michelin´s

but other 2 cars in the dealer had Conti´s, and dunlop´s

I said to the dealer that I wanted the Michelin´s are easier to find here in mexico.