GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First problem with the GTI

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
The new Pilot has a very similar setup to the VW. (high-mounted spoiler with integrated TBL)

For the record, I didn't bring Honda into this originally, and I see my disclaimers are ignored!

Yeah, ya got me there. I never read the fine print. Plus, I'm really just killing time at work by complaining about banal topics on auto forums...:wink:

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Slowride said:
Also, I can't remember a single factory Honda spoiler 3rd brake light that didn't have access via the cover, now that you mention it.

With LED lamps? Why access it LEDs used?

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
I think that is what he is saying. Again, LEDs should last the life of the car - there isn't a big need to get in there to replace the panel. And please don't say that there is obviously a problem with the TBL. There has only been one report on this forum of a failed unit. Again, this is being blown out of proportion.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Again, I am not bashing VW about this design, but I am bashing the design choice in general. I simply don't think that it is a good idea to seal off access to something that may need to be serviced. It doesn't matter if the the lighting type is LED vs. Bulbs vs. Alien technology yet discovered (unless it is indefinite and free from earthly manufacturing).

Yes, in this case, the housing is cracked. However, if the housing was accessible from the beginning, it probably could be simply replaced in and out.

Yes, the LED panel shouldn't need to be serviced. A manufacturer spec sheet says that it should last 1000000 years, probably. What if it doesn't? There is an estimated failure rate on any product, so this LED panel is not immune. That means that there is a realistic chance that a number of LED panels will fail in any batch that is manufactured. That means there will be more, and this elaborate replacement process will be heard of again.

Also, since this 3rd brake light is a legal requirement where I live, what if I was driving around waiting for a new spoiler to arrive from Germany, and I get rear-ended before I can get it fixed? Would VW be liable? What if I get pulled over by a cop while it is burned out/broken? Time can be of the essence, and a fix like this should take seconds, not weeks.That is an extreme example, but it is something that comes to mind when discussing whether or not this design makes sense.

Anyway, I am bored waiting for my next meeting to start, so I figured I would ramble for awhile.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Chrysler uses two torx bit screws to hold in the light housing and a bulb. Ford on the other hand had a LED and a ballast in 96 or 97 Explorers. When those things went out it was about $700 parts and labor to replace it. That was always fun to sell. Sounds like a cost cutting idea, one of the few I've seen or heard about on this car.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Teknophreak said:
Wouldn't it be funny if we are all wrong, the unit is actually accessible, and the post that they had to cut off the spoiler to get to the LED panel was bogus?

Just head outside with a screwdriver and let us know if it comes out!

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
...Still waiting on the part from Germany...

koo

Ready to race!
I've got water ingress in the 3rd brake light. Spoiler has to be cut off (WHAT!!!??? ARE YOU F#$%^ KIDDING???) to replace part according to dealer service guy.

To be honest I read about this happening on a german Golf forum and couldn't believe it. So I checked mine and would you believe it found (shock horror) a tiny little water in the light... Couple of weeks later there is more. Shit! I will have it done at my first service.

But I have got to say I am less than happy about this as I can just see it coming back scratched, mis-aligned, badly attached etc. with endless trips back to the dealer, getting those hostile looks like you are trying to steal something...

Honeymoon over...

Great, just bloody great!

drewclaret

My MK5 GTI has just developed a problem with the 3rd Brake Light, which has just stopped working. I could n't believe that VW wanted to charge in the region of £400 to complete the job.

I purchased a replacement LED light from VW yesterday for £39 and have fitted it today, by following the method below. Light is now working fine and no damge to the car, what so ever, so I am really pleased. In total, it took me 25 minutes to complete. Excellent saving on VW's costs.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?action=printpage;topic=121067.0

Cheers, Andrew