GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Left-Foot Breaking

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
hmm.. what does heel toe do? as in what is it used for..

white rabbit said:
It's great for less down time between moving your feet from pedal to pedal. 1/100ths of a second count on the race track

It's great for being able to balance the car under load situations.

(useful in rally driving) it can be used (especially in awd cars) to transfer the weight to the front of the car and to start spinning the rear wheels (a little) and create oversteer :w00t:

Harbinger

Passed Driver's Ed
bennylenny88 said:
hmm.. what does heel toe do? as in what is it used for..

Heel and toe is when you are braking and want to downshift at the same time in a manual. Your left foot is working the clutch for the downshift. Your right foot is brakeing, but you need to blip the throttle to match revs for the downshift. So , your right foot has the toes on the brake and the heel blipping the gas.

Harbinger said:
Heel and toe is when you are braking and want to downshift at the same time in a manual. Your left foot is working the clutch for the downshift. Your right foot is brakeing, but you need to blip the throttle to match revs for the downshift. So , your right foot has the toes on the brake and the heel blipping the gas.

true, i was reffering to left foot braking above, but they are pretty similar anyway.

there is a post on here somewhere (search) about how to do heel toe,
some use the toes and heels but it appears (on the pole) most use the rolling of the foot from brake to gas

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
davesee said:
everytime i attempt to do the left foot brake driving i almost give myself whiplash whenever i first apply the brake.. my left foot was still in the clutch pedal mode and really liked to shove on pedals quickly.

im sure someone else has had this problem!

the left foot eventually adjusts, but i suppose im never in the environment of using left foot braking all the time, when just the right foot would do. maybe if i took up racing.. :iono:

I know exactly what you mean haha. I could heel-toe and left foot brake all day in my A4. The other day I was gonna give it a try on a nice wide, gradual downhill clover-leaf exit ramp. Well, the car stopped so fast that my forehead almost hit the steering wheel and I almost got rear ended by a car that wasn't even close to me to start out with (I know, not safe, and probably stupid too). Pretty much I think I leave all my practicing to not so public raodways.

It just doesn't seem like the pedals are in the right place to heel-toe either. Maybe my foot is retarded or something. It just seems like you have to torque your knee in a weird way to be able to hit both of them correctly. Maybe this comes with practice/getting used to the setup. By the time I apply the brake I really have the reach and twist with my heel.

I'm not gonna say any of it is impossible because I know there are people out there that can do it. Its most likely a matter of familiarization

Nevada Smith

Passed Driver's Ed
Fifth Gear

Ok so the GTI is a FF that can't use FF (Front Engine-Front Wheel Drive) driving techniques. Great.

In the fifth gear car of the year award clip does tiff throw the GTI into oversteer around those corners by just shifting the weight of the car?

(ex. by just throwing the steering wheel quickly to the right before making a left turn?)

from the looks of that video they are using some other technique to induce oversteer because obviously VW prevents the masses to use left foot breaking because people don't even know how to drive cars.

(Can you imagine how good all those drivers were when there were only FR cars?)

So what the name of that technique, if its the one to induce oversteer?

Nevada Smith said:
Ok so the GTI is a FF that can't use FF (Front Engine-Front Wheel Drive) driving techniques. Great.

In the fifth gear car of the year award clip does tiff throw the GTI into oversteer around those corners by just shifting the weight of the car?

(ex. by just throwing the steering wheel quickly to the right before making a left turn?)

from the looks of that video they are using some other technique to induce oversteer because obviously VW prevents the masses to use left foot breaking because people don't even know how to drive cars.

(Can you imagine how good all those drivers were when there were only FR cars?)

So what the name of that technique, if its the one to induce oversteer?

"lift off oversteer"

Cjeckert

Drag Racing Champion
Actually the breaks will change thier "feel" once they bed in which usually take a week or so w/t normal driving. What actually happens is the roter is harder then the pad material which is reletivly soft (think tire leaving rubber on asfault at drag strip), pad material is transfered to the roter and actually coats it the roter and goes back and force between the pad and roter during breaking, it takes awhile for this cycle to establish and depending on the pad material can cause the breaks to be a little touchy at first.

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
These two techniques are intended for two different things, as has been mentioned heel-toe is to facillitate down shifting and left foot braking is to adjust chassis attitude. That being said, I find it very difficult to heel-toe in this car as the pedals are too close both left to right and forward/ back.
I have been trying to modify my heel-toe feel as now it is more toe-toe action. I put my foot on the right side of the brake and pivot off the edge of the pedal to blip the gas. It is tricky, as I have been accustomed to doing it differently for almost 25 years......It is tricky, but I insist on practicing at every opportunity until I perfect it. Be careful, the brakes do work quite well as I am sure we are all aware.

Don't forget we have a readily accessible hand brake if you are trying to invoke some oversteer.....

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Nurendra said:
It is impossible mechanically as your throttle system is drive by wire. Thus if you try braking while still on the gas, the system defaults to braking.

OH wow... so that's why I can never brake and gas (attempting heel-toe) the GTI without jerky the car.
Never knew that.

I'm also not used to the huge Euro gas pedal. lol

dvsdimsum

Go Kart Champion
Edmunds Quote

"The GTI refuses to tolerate any driving style that uses left-foot braking. Overlap the throttle and brake even slightly and the GTI cuts power for a few seconds. This is no doubt a product of VW's attorneys who surely have "don't sue us" tattooed on their foreheads. It's infuriating to be forced to change your driving style to accommodate the least-common-denominator driver who occasionally steps on the wrong pedal. The power cut left us shaking our heads as the Civic's taillights disappeared into the hills."

This was taken from their SI v GTI comparo.

Shifty

Pull it shave it paint it
Car(s)
2002 TDI New Beetle
Edmonds... a good source... :rolleyes:

But seriously, I have been heel-toeing my GTI since the day I got it (and loving it since I couldn't do it in my MkIV), and I have never noticed the engine power being overridden by the computer. Are you guys talking DSG??? :iono:

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
Teknophreak said:
Heel-toe works, it's when the car is in gear that the power will cut out. I can get away with about 1 second of left foot braking.

Yes, what he said.

Left foot BRAKING(please note correct spelling) is possible, but only to a very limited extent before the thottle cut-out is activated(if the throttle is even applied at all).

Heel-toeing shifts are also possible but only for a very short period of time before the throttle cut-out kicks in,........If you do a perfect throttle blip rev match/shift then it can be done.

The alternative is a sequential: early braking - clutch in, revmatch downshift - late braking, entry - apex - exit

As for pedal spacing, the mk5 is far better for heel-toeing than the mk4 was, especially with driving appropriate shoes.