GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

longterm parking

MK4-683

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I will travel to China for 3 months, any advices and tips for longterm parking?

Thanks

Peter

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Get the car off the ground so as not to flat spot the tires...I heard this from a buddy of mine who parks his car during the winter. Have some one start it and let it run for a bit once a week.

MK4-683

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MKV GTI
loccusst said:
Get the car off the ground so as not to flat spot the tires...I heard this from a buddy of mine who parks his car during the winter. Have some one start it and let it run for a bit once a week.
ya, I heard that too, but after u lift the car for 3 months, and how about the spring, they will stretch for long time.

and how about engine oil , should I change the oil before parking or after, and the gas should be full tank or as few as possible?

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Deagle said:
Change the oil after. As for the gas, as little as possible. It tends to not be as good over a period of time. Springs set in 1 to 2 weeks after installation so they will be fine. And if you leave it outside, go buy a car cover!

My routine when I stored my Ducati in the winter was to get it off the tires, run it until almost completely empty and the use some stabile in the gas tank. Put the battery on one of those $50 battery tenders. Wash it then put it under a cover. Do not, I repeat do not, put a cover on a dirty car. It will scratch this sh!te out of it.

Have a safe trip!:thumbsup:

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
There should be detailed instructions in the manual. I know there were in my Accord's manual.

If not, call VWoA. I'm sure they have info for you.

MK4-683

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Thanks guys, I will call my dealer and see what else they can tell me

hmm, my car has been parked for 8 months now, outside, w/o a cover :(
i left it with very little gas, and will change the oil when i get back.
i guess i didnt think about the tires, but i am expecting a very dirty car when i get back... hopefully no rust

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Deagle said:
Change the oil after. As for the gas, as little as possible. It tends to not be as good over a period of time. Springs set in 1 to 2 weeks after installation so they will be fine. And if you leave it outside, go buy a car cover!

I would certainly disagree with some of this.

Change the oil before you store it and after. Don't leave acids that build up in the oil from driving setting there and don't let moisture that collects stay there.

Fill the tank to the max. This will stop condensation on the tank walls. Gas does not go bad in 3 months. There is more risk of water in the tank than the gas going bad.

If you want to lift the tires off the surface, lift under the springs, not under the body. Keep the springs compressed. However, good quality tires do not "flat spot" anyway. At least not since the 70's.

Do not cover the car if left outside. The cover will do more damage than anything. Movement from wind and grit on the paint will scratch the finish. Moisture under the cover will damage the surface.

NorthGTI said:
Do not cover the car if left outside. The cover will do more damage than anything. Movement from wind and grit on the paint will scratch the finish. Moisture under the cover will damage the surface.

that is why i didnt cover mine.
if the cover isnt new and good quality... moisture may get in and rust the car

Deagle

Touring Car Champion
NorthGTI said:
I would certainly disagree with some of this.

Change the oil before you store it and after. Don't leave acids that build up in the oil from driving setting there and don't let moisture that collects stay there.

Fill the tank to the max. This will stop condensation on the tank walls. Gas does not go bad in 3 months. There is more risk of water in the tank than the gas going bad.

If you want to lift the tires off the surface, lift under the springs, not under the body. Keep the springs compressed. However, good quality tires do not "flat spot" anyway. At least not since the 70's.

You make good points. I was just going off what I've read in other forums. I know that doesn't make things true though.

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
Storing the car for three months is one thing. However, when I left the country for 6 months I left my Jeep with someone I trusted and had ample parking. I simply gave them the keys and asked them to start it up and drive it every once in a while. 'Twas a bit dirty, but running just fine after 6 months of extremely light useage.

Good luck.

MK4-683

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MKV GTI
the_saint said:
You could loan it to me while you're gone. :biggrin:
I think my fast's already have enough exercise :biggrin:

MK4-683

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Thanks everyone, I just called my dealer, and they said they can looking for a place in their new car storing lot. and will call me back on friday. I think that is good, because it's maximum security there.