GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Shiftknob choices???

gatorfast

man amongst boys
MHS216 said:
I think Accords are ugly but no one held a gun to my head and made me buy one. If you get a Vw you can put whatever you like on it. The golfball is a historical item more than anything, reminds us of the good old times.
Calm down buddy. No need to bash my car. I simply stated my opinion that I didnt like the golf ball shifter, never said I didnt like the GTI.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
gatorfast said:
Calm down buddy. No need to bash my car. I simply stated my opinion that I didnt like the golf ball shifter, never said I didnt like the GTI.

It's fun though. It's ok to be defensive too, that's appropriate behavior coming from someone who is in the minority like you are on here.

And it's my day off so I'm extra calm today thanks to herbal mood enhancers, if you catch my drift.:wink:

erick.s

Autocross Champion
Dubsta said:
Who has the golf ball shifter? How do you like it, does it sit higher than the stock one? How was the install...

My dealer wants $221 for the set up, anyone want to buy my stocker? Maybe one of you boys overseas!

I had the golf ball shifter on my '97 GTI. I bought it used from someone on the 'tex who had a Driver's Edition GTI(the knob came from the factory on the DE) for $50 back in the day. It looks identical to the knob now with the exception of the shift pattern diagram. It felt good and was heavier than the "stock" knob - it actually helped increase shift feel (believe it or not). I liked it, but after a while it showed signs of wear and on really hot days the glue that held the shift pattern diagram on the ball would get loose.

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
i have the golfball in my car. i love it, gives the car the extra retro look to go along with the seats. install was easy, all u need to do is pop the plastic base off and then take some pliers to get the clamp off the stock shifter. after that, u just put the new one in, use some pliers to clamp it and your done. I got mine for $120 from a guy on the vortex.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
coolme187 said:
i have the golfball in my car. i love it, gives the car the extra retro look to go along with the seats. install was easy, all u need to do is pop the plastic base off and then take some pliers to get the clamp off the stock shifter. after that, u just put the new one in, use some pliers to clamp it and your done. I got mine for $120 from a guy on the vortex.

what method did you use to get the clamp off...did you have someone hold the shift rod, and stretch the clamp open...mine is causing me headaches, and I'm about to saw it off.... HELP.

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
i just ripped it off with a needle nose plier. they have the same size clamps, but with screws online for like $3 for a dozen.