GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing Golfball Shiftknob?

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
Has anyone installed the Golfball on thier MK5? How did you do it? Its hard to tell what kind of tools you need to do it.

GTI2007

if you compare the Golfball shifknob with the original GTI shiftknob you'll see that the original GTI shiftknob has a much bigger base. So it isn't just screw the original GTI shiftknob off and the Golfball shiftknob on but requires like car said a complete replacement of the original shiftknob and boot.

Attachments

• GTI 066.jpg
    GTI 066.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,640

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
Haha, I know this is going to sound strange, but its how you really install it. Honestly, just pull up on the entire assebly, and the silver trim that's around the base will lift up, along w/ the entire stick assembly, then just replace it w/ the new assembly, it comes with the boot and the trim, its pretty much plug and play, you shouldn't have to yank too hard, it "should" pop out, w/ some force

Good luck!!!

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
here's some picture of where I'm at... I'm not sure how to continue the removal process.

while were on it... anybody know if an aftermarket parking brake can be installed here.

plac

GTI Master
Obviously, you remove the clamp to get the boot off. A clamp which is non reusable..

plac

GTI Master
yes, you bend it off. Thats only same same clamp you find everywhere under the VW hood.

but a saw works too.................... :clap:

you put a mini screwdriver up in that loop and start twisting. and get upsize your screwdriver blade everytime it gets too loose.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
plac said:
yes, you bend it off. Thats only same same clamp you find everywhere under the VW hood.

but a saw works too.................... :clap:

you put a mini screwdriver up in that loop and start twisting. and get upsize your screwdriver blade everytime it gets too loose.

that's pretty much what i did, but the strength of the clamp was surprising... I remember breaking clamps like that in my Nissan using a toothpick. That shit was like airplane grade steel.